THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What magazine do you read cover to cover?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just finishing the most recent Double Gun Journal and realized that it is one of the few magazines that I usually read cover to cover.
Most of the others, I read one or two articles and glance at the rest.
I read books cover to cover, but seldom magazines. Just curious what magazines other folks read cover to cover?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
African Sporting Gazette, number one Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I was just finishing the most recent Double Gun Journal and realized that it is one of the few magazines that I usually read cover to cover.
Most of the others, I read one or two articles and glance at the rest.
I read books cover to cover, but seldom magazines. Just curious what magazines other folks read cover to cover?
Bfly

African Hunter: cover to cover.
I don't know the "Double Gun Journal". Who publishes it?
Cheers, Hans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always read Wolfe Publishing's Rifle and Handloader magazines but even they are beginning to slide into a repetitive sort of averageness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is titled The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal published by The Double Gun Journal. Here is the website I use to get subscriptions and contact them.
http://doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal.htm

It's a pretty well done quarterly. It's kind of classy with nice detail photos. It mostly has write ups on double shotguns, but there are articles on single shots, drillings and the occaisional double rifle. Most are well done. Tends to get a little swarmy over old doubles and English guns. THe Sweet Elsies and Parkers get pretty reverent attention as well, which is fine since I've been in love with my Greatgrandad's Elsie since I was five or six years old. Had quite a series over the last couple years on damascus barrels. A little different from mass market gun magazines.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter - excellent
African Sporting Gazette (my favorite)
Hatari Times (fun and folksy)
Sports Afield - great job of resurrecting a dead magazine Ludo and Diane Rupp - super work!

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Rifle
Cycle World
Hustler
Flyfisherman
Alaska Trapper

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sporting Classics the top of my list. I have an huge magazine addiction. I cant go to the can without reading material so all my magazines get read cover to cover.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
African Sporting Gazzette is hands down my favorite. Also, Gray's Sporting Journal.

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found African Sporting, oops! Hunting Gazette a major disappointment. A few here had recommended it, but the editorial set the tone for a generally sub-par collection of articles.

The editorial where hyphen-babe #1 feels too embarrassed to admit to editing a hunting magazine while on vacation in Bhutan sets the general tone. Followed by "Huntress Diana: sub-titled "The Awakening of a Safari Virgin" by some middle-aged woman who hasn't pulled the trigger yet but enjoyed roughing it with her husband. The photos of the swimming pool and silver candle sticks by the fireplace. If terry wienie-land is going to be the most visible contributor even Craig Boddington won't be able to help.

Yuppie Girls do an Africa-focused magazine.

I find it insulting that a magazine, renamed by some woman who is embarrassed to admit what she does for a living purports; in the first issue under a new, more exciting title, to be the "reincarnation of the premium magazine on hunting in Africa with a new look and a new name...".
Balderdash!

Rich

Sigh...Barnes & Noble won't give me a refund, because I took it out of the plastic wrapper.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Wow, Rich!

I haven't seen the issue you mention, but I have enjoyed every copy of the African Sporting Gazette that I have seen.

I don't know Brook Chilvers-Lubin well, but I do know her well enough to be shocked to hear that she said she was too embarrassed to admit she edits a hunting magazine -- or that she would be embarrassed about anything, for that matter.

I published in Safari magazine many years ago the first hunting article she ever sold, and I have followed her career over the past two decades as she wrote about her hunts across three or four continents.

It has always been my impression that she is proud to be active in major hunting organizations and to be married to one of Africa's best-known professional hunters.

When I bumped into Brooke at last week's SCI convention I complimented her on what she was doing with African Sporting Gazette. Again, I hadn't seen the issue that got your motor running, but for now I will stand by that opinion.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was a near word-for-word quote. Surprised me too.

This issue just seems a jumble, not organized very well. Haven't seen the video yet.

What is the best-known PHs name? It's not Mark Sullivan is it?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Nope. He's Rudy Lubin, and he is a highly respected outfitter/PH who has operated in the C.A.R. for at least 30 years.

I received my copy of the newly named African Hunting Gazette today, and will look for what you described.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Rich:

I thumbed through the issue, and read Brooke's column twice and the "Safari Virgin" article about half way. You are correct about Brooke not wanting to let her Bhutan guide know she edited a hunting magazine.

Although that surprised me, it did not annoy me as it obviously did you. It could be because I know Brooke's background as an experienced hunter.

Not that it matters, but I also realized it was the magazine's owner and not Brooke who had renamed the magazine.

Granted, the "Safari Virgin" article was a bit of fluff, but I don't share your disgust with the entire issue. I liked the variety of articles, the layout and design, the excellent wildlife photographs and quality of reproduction, and a lot more.

When I first started work as an outdoor columnist at a newspaper a hundred years ago, an old-timer told me that if I expressed my opinions in print long enough I eventually would piss off everyone I ever knew or would meet. Boy, was he ever correct! I also soon would learn how few words it takes to stir up controversy or how many people would misinterpret what I'd actually written.

He also said my readers would judge me as only as good as my last column. I think that's true of Brooke and the African Sporting ... ooops, HUNTING Gazette.

Why not give both another chance?

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't say I wasn't going to keep it coming, I am. I guess her PC just rubbed me the wrong way this time. She just came across as embarrassed for her husband having to let folks there know he hunted for a living. Everybody did until a couple thousand years ago. I just see her and the rest of the Ladies expecting us to praise them as brave babes making it in a "Man's World" from time to time. It's like Marc Watts. He doesn't come on as a black guy, just someone who made some serious bucks at his old job and now gets to do what he wants; hunt in Africa and produce high quality videos of his African experiences. Marc's just a regular guy who has a great tan year round.
Know what I mean? I like things simple and straightforward, and it seems everybody these days wants to be "special".

I just sort-of expected a little more having enjoyed past issues.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I just see her and the rest of the Ladies expecting us to praise them as brave babes making it in a "Man's World" from time to time."

Believe me, that lady has won her spurs as a hunter. She's no slouch as an editor, either.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Above all, even honesty; I desire consistency. If I know you are a horse's ass I can cope. Inconsistency is the eighth deadly sin. You can never count on someone who will flip-flop to please others who do not matter to them. I pride myself on being consistent. A lot of folks here admire me for that, others castigate me for some stands I have taken. But, everybody knows who and what I am.

A magazine that will offer up the unsolicited editorial comment that she would have been embarrassed to admit to editing a hunting magazine simply to "suck up" to someone in a foreign country she was visiting... I find that distasteful and an admission of a distinct lack of character (I'd say "balls" but it's obviously not germaine in this case). That is sad to hear of, and even worse to tell on yourself.
It cheapens her a tremendous amount in my eyes and mind. What other revelations might we expect in the future?

"Public disclosure is fine, until it turns into indecent exposure...".

Rich

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
That's what makes horse races, I guess. All I can say is I'm glad you enjoyed my book, and I thank you for saying so on the forum.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

your life story is about not letting anyone control you. Tough childhood yes, but you refused to let anyone or anything keep you from doing what you wanted, and making a success of yourself in the meantime. In my humble opinion it would be a good book for kids who have a tough time at home to read in Jr High. The message comes thru loud and clear; "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent! You are the architect of your own future."

I found it very inspirational to see how you lived your life on your own terms. Your book has a special spot on my "Eye Level, see it every time I look at that bookcase" shelf.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thank you again, Rich.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
She was in Bhutan - a Buddhist country. I've no doubt she sticks up for hunting in many other arenas where doing so can actually hope to have a consequence.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read several of the Weider History Group magazines cover to cover.
The ones I like are,
America's Civil War
Civil War Times
Military History
Military History Quarterly
World War II
Vietnam
American History

Really great magazines which I wish were more widely read.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Sporting Classics
Gray's Sporting Journal
Sports Afield
Double Gun Journal
Shooting Sportsman
Huntin Fool
And any well written book on hunting I can get my hands on. For an excellent read, Mr. Quimby's does very well.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Agree that Rifle and Handloader have fallen mighty low.
Only one I read cover to cover is SPG Blackpowder News.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am pretty dissapointed most of the hunting and gun magazines out there.

I do like:

Shooting Sportsman. Probably the best American shotgun magazine.

Hatari, Harald Wolf needs to get off his ass and put more out. Interesting because he is a good gunsmith and turns out some interesting stories from time to time. Hopefully he is recovering from his illness well and this year will find him in good shape.

Precision Shooting, Accurate Rifle, Rifle, Handloading, and Rifle Shooter similar magazines with similar problems. I don't have a lot of interest in reading about handguns or black rifles other than that these few are ok sometimes.

Double Gun and Single Shot Journal. This one can be ok, sometimes.

The Field, Shooting Gazette, British Shooting Times, Fieldsports and all the other British shooting mags are nice.

The mags from Australia and New Zealand are great.

Wild Sheep and Grand Slam are very good.

Sports Afield is tops!

That's pretty much it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whatever (almost) sits on table in waiting room of dr.'s office

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the following myself

Reloader magazine
Rifle magazine
Popular Mechanics

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
Sporting Classics, Guns, the other I read depend on that months articles.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote