New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Of The Grizzly
 Login/Join

<X-Ring>
posted
I'm now rereading this book six years after the first time, and it still startles me how much good info there is in this book. It is also a gorey book as it gives first and second hand accounts of bear attacks in the western US, and AK.
The only thing I didn't care for is the auther seems to be under the impression that all bear attacks are the fault of the human involved. I can't buy that line of thinking, but he has researched his book very well!
You will learn things about bears you may not have ever known. I know I did and I grew up in bear country. Anyway here is a link to a review of the book.
http://www.redlodgebooks.com/books/1560446366.html

I note of intrest is I'm the guy who replaced Bill Tesinski at City Motors Chevrolet. The photographer that got eaten in Yellowstone park. That kinda brought this book home for me. I wouldn't be liveing in MT right now had he not been killed by a Griz. Wierd hey!
X-Ring

[ 02-11-2003, 05:48: Message edited by: X-Ring ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello:
If you want an unbiased informative version try reading "Bear Attacks" by Steven Herrero, ISBN 0-8329-0377-9. Herrero is a renowned expert on the subject and presents his findings in a very open minded way, not like some of the tree hugger types who seem to believe bears dine exclusively on grasses and herbs.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Hello:
If you want an unbiased informative version try reading "Bear Attacks" by Steven Herrero, ISBN 0-8329-0377-9. Herrero is a renowned expert on the subject and presents his findings in a very open minded way, not like some of the tree hugger types who seem to believe bears dine exclusively on grasses and herbs.
Griz

Thanks I will give it a try. I don't know how much more I really want to know! [Eek!] I do believe that a real knowledge of what makes these big bruins tick is essential. if you plan to spend time in the wild where they live. You dang well better know the differance between fact and old wives tails. I did learn a lot about bears from Mark OF The Grizzly. I really had no idea just how fast they are. The first hand account of the college ( I believe football star) Who was a very fast runner as far as humans go. He said when he saw the bear some sixty feet away start to charge. He spun around to run and got about two steps and she took him. Damn thats fast! And that was a huge AK Brown bear.
Scary animals. I have he utmost respect for them. I have yet to see a Griz in the wild. Someday!
X-Ring