New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book suggestion needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't read too many books other than what was required reading in school and a few others. Two years ago I did some searching on this forum and decided on Death in the Long Grass.

I bought it for a flight to Jamaica and couldn't put it down. I've read it three times and also picked up Death in the Dark Continent.

Then I picked up some whitetail bowhunting books by John and Chris Eberhart; good reads but not too fun.

I'm headed to Jamaica again in three weeks for the second time and would like to get a book or two for the flight. I really enjoyed Death in the Long Grass and would like something similar. Yes, I may have the Africa bug now.

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be PHC but I certainly like his wit and style.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I liked Capstick's "A Man Called Lion," too. You also could try anything by J.A. Hunter, or "Use Enough Gun" and the two Mau-Mau books by Robert Ruark. The early novels by Wilbur Smith are good, too. There also are lots of recent books by professional hunters and their clients.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Chris. I sent you by PM a few books you might find of interest. The one Bill Quimby recommended included and if you are interested in Wilbur Smith
I have a number of his for sale as well.

Bill

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I really like The Last Ivory Hunter by PHC about Wally Johnson.

If you want a book about Africa that will leave you breathless in its execution, get Beryl Markham's West with the Night. Truly one of the best written books with an African theme.

Denis Lyell also has agood sense of humour.

African Hunter by Bror Blixen is another fun read.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four suggestions that will transport you to the wild places.
I reread 'Look to the Wilderness' by Douglas Burden. You'll have to pick it up used off of Amazon. It is a great read from the early twentieth century. Burden hunts the world when it was hard.
Another option might be one of Corbets Maneater Tiger and Leopard hunting books. I keep one on my nightstand for sleepless nights. I can escape to the foothills of the Himalyas.
'The Maneaters of Tsavo' is also a great read. From a time when life was hard and uncertain and a man did what needed to be done. I first read it in grade school I think it was the beginning of my African addiction. I read it over and over.
'Endurance', is not a hunting book, but to read of true heros of the Shackleton voyage surviving the Anartic ice and cold makes a cape buffalo charge seem pretty small time. You will need a jacket or sweater when you read it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice call on Endurance. That is one of the most remarkable stories I've ever read, really a great book. In that same vein In the heart of the Sea is another great book about the whale ship Essex. They are a good ones to read back to back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This reading thing is pretty addictive.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have,nt read The Old Man And The Boy, by Ruark, might not be a bad book for a flight..
African Rifles & Cartridges by John Taylor..
An entirely different beast, of sorts, but you might enjoy All Over But The Shoutin by Rick Bragg..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,almost all my recommendations have been used (good choices all).Reminds me that every time I envision a new super wildcat cartridge I pick up Parker's volumes + find that he did it years before.Addendum would be "Islands In The Stream",Hemingway. Happy flight + tailwinds.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am reading KING lEOPOLD'S GHOST, by ADAM HOCHSCHILD right now and I love it.

Not much hunting, but it is a very interesting book about the Congo.

Another very interesting book I read recently is ALONE:THE CLASSIC POLAR ADVENTURE, by RICHARD E. BYRD.

It is about him manning a weather staion in Antarctica, alone.

Another book I can highly recommend is ISLAND OF THE LOST, SHIPRWCKED AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD by JOAN DRUETT.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66929 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Six Years With The Texas Rangers" by Capt. J.B. Gillette, proof again that truth is stranger and more fantastic than fiction.

Also, "Lost Cause: John Wesley Hardin, the Sutton Taylor Feud, and Reconstruction Texas" by Jack Jackson.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the recommendations. I'll be set for quite a while if I read half of these.

Thanks,

Chris

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Scouting on Two Continents

by Frederick Russell Burnham,

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CISCO,if you enjoyed "Death In The Long Grass" and want something similar but way better IMO,try Corbett`s books.I think you will like "Man Eaters Of Kumaon". If you want something a little different but really good try"Months OF The Sun" by Ian Nychens. I just finished "Horn Of The Hunter" and did not really like it(bored to death).I am going to try a couple of Pondoro Taylor`s books next.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote