THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Bongo and Sitatunga with the Pygmies - DVD review

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bongo and Sitatunga with the Pygmies - DVD review
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought this DVD to get ready for a hunt in Cameroon last year. I got it from Midway and it took about 3 months to review as it was on back order.

It was put together by Sportsmen on Film by a guy named Ken Wilson. He is a hunter and booking agent in Texas.

It is an odd film. It struck me as one of the first produced in the "you are there" format and is older than most of what you can buy nowadays. The editing is very average but the hunting sequence and the feel of the hunt is very accurate for what I saw in Cameroon when I hunted bongo.

I would call the technique a bit primitive and raw but it is very "real". The bongo that was taken was small, but the hunter was extremely pleased with it after what he goes through to get the shot.

If you are headed to Cameroon, get this DVD, watch it, and see past the filming and watch the hunt and the hunt conditons. It is worth your time.

I rate this a 7 out of 10 on the dogcat scale, downgraded for the amatuer filming and editing. However, I would buy it for you for a present!!

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rate this a 7 out of 10 on the dogcat scale, downgraded for the amatuer filming and editing. However, I would buy it for you for a present!!

Can I PM you my postal address. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Ken Wilson's DVDS are pretty good but not great.

Considering he has been making hunting videos since the 1980s you would think he would do a more modern high speed low drag type of film.

But he doesn't.

I personally don't really care, his video editing is good enough, there are some running jokes between him and Lad.

I have known Ken since 1995. He's a nice guy, turns out a "we went hunting" video and it is what it is.

Most are in that 7 out 10 category.

Consdering how much BS is on some of these DVDS I think we should all give Ken a lot of credit. His have none!

He doesn't spend hours telling everyone how wonderful he is, or have a 30 minuite montage and 3 introductions by paid hunting guides to tell you he is the best shot in Texas, Africa or wherever.

I own every single DVD Ken has made, and I will continue to buy them.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a scene on this video of a duiker getting caught in a poachers snare. It is screaming its fool head off. It is interesting to hear a real distress call from a duiker. I would like to put that sound on my FoxPro to call Jackal and probably duiker.

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote