New
Find
Notify
Tools

book suggestions for upcoming vacation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am blessed enough to have rented a cabin for a week on a lake in New Hampshire the week of July 4th and plan on doing little more than spend time with the significant other and the dog, grill things, drink beer, and read.

I'm looking for suggestions on good books about North American hunting and/or handgun hunting. I'm pretty much open to anything, so all suggestions are very much welcomed.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you could consider Alaska a part of North America then any of Russell Annebel's books are good.Written as truth but welllll;good reading,you decide. "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith is a good handgun hunting one.Were I your position I would take John Taylor's "African Rifles + Cartridges".That book you can lose yourself in + come up with a great bit of knowledge.I have a regular plethora of suggestions but this should give you a good start.Enjoy your weekend.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendations, Norman. I have Taylor's book and have enjoyed it more than once. I did order Sixgun and Anabell's Alaskan Adventures, alon with a few more handgun hunting books. I'll report back with my thoughts when I've read them.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy reading Amigo,give us the update when you get back.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
While not NA, Monsoon by Wilber Smith is an excellent read.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually ALL of Wilbur Smith's are great brain candy."Assengai" + his most recent,"Those In Peril" are both great reads.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I agree about Wilbur Smith. Except for those covering early Egypt, I have enjoyed all of his books.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I agree about Wilbur Smith. Except for those covering early Egypt, I have enjoyed all of his books.

Bill Quimby

I agree completely and my only complaint is he occasionally gets small things wrong....... most readers wouldn't notice these small errors but they bug the shit out of me.

An example is in one of his books, he has his hero dump some hand grenades etc down an ant lion hole.... what he means is an ant bear hole.

An ant lion is an insect.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree completely and my only complaint is he occasionally gets small things wrong....... most readers wouldn't notice these small errors but they bug the shit out of me.

I do the same thing when I read books..I know it;s not really fair but I still do...and I know people do it to stuff I have written.

If you have ever read Dan Brown books you will see so many errors it;s not funny...like in DaVinci Code, when the monk shoots a guy with the last round from his Glock and on the nest trigger pull it's a "click on an empty chamber." Really, so the slide locked back and the guy could STILL drop the striker on an empty chamber...I hope Gaston Glock knows about this...

As far as recommendations...read Henderson the Rain King, by Saul Bellow. It is such a fun and good read and even has an Africa theme. I've never met another person who has read it, but all have loved it after I got them a copy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the worlds worst (in other's opinions) on spotting inaccuracies.I was always persona non grata during any western in the family room.(to wit: "hey,this movie is set in 1876 + that rifle was'nt invented until 1886,ad nauseum.)People,especially your family don't want to hear this.I've learned to just stay silent.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

Bill Quimby

I agree completely and my only complaint is he occasionally gets small things wrong....... most readers wouldn't notice these small errors but they bug the shit out of me. An example is in one of his books, he has his hero dump some hand grenades etc down an ant lion hole.... what he means is an ant bear hole. An ant lion is an insect.

After living all his life in southern Africa, Wilbur Smith certainly knows the difference between an ant bear and an ant lion. I would guess that an editor could not find an ant bear in his/her dictionary and changed it, and Smith did not catch the change when reading the page proofs.

It has happened to me too many times. The worst example was in my own memoirs, "Sixty Years A Hunter," where I made frequent mention of "whitetail bucks." For some reason, the editor's dictionary did not show "whitetail" and she changed it every instance to "white-tailed."

I circled "white-tailed buck" the first time I saw it on the page proofs and asked the editor to do a search and replace of the file to correct the other instances.

Unfortunately, it was not done and I wound up looking like an idiot when the book was released.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the classified forum,some one is selling a Wilbur Smith library.