THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Vietnam Air Cav pilot's story....outstanding book

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam Air Cav pilot's story....outstanding book
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
1) To the Limit by Tom A. Johnson 2006 about 375 pages

***** Five Stars

An absolutely outstanding read which grabs you from the first chapter. Heroics efforts and bravery, which mostly went unnoticed, were done daily. Highest recommendation.

quote:
The cost of the Vietnam War was very high. Out of 2,594,000 persons who served in South VN, 58,169 died. Helicopter air crews bore a disproportionately heavy burden. For all military occupation specialities, including helicopter aircrews, the kill ration was 1 to 45; for helicopter pilots in VN the ratio was an alarming 1 to 18. By the end of the war, 2,197 helicopter pilots out of approx. 40,000 either died or were listed as missing in action. Another 2,274 crew chiefs and gunners died alongside the pilots.

At the height of the war, many individual Rotary Wing Classes suffered even heavier losses than that of the average helicopter crew. I graduated 16th of 286 men in Warrant Officer Rotary Wing Aviation Class 67-5. In the 12 months after we received our Army aviator wings at Fort Rucker, Ala., 1 out of every 13 of us died in South VN.

Of those who died, the average time in country was 165 days and the average age was 23.11 years.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ordered this book at your suggestion and just finished it. Very good book. Amazing to think of how young most of those folks were. Some pretty scary stuff for young twenty year olds . . . like the mission into Laos and the extraction of the LRRPs.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Glad you enjoyed it. I've ordered several more with similar themes but the only one I've read so far is "Rattler One-Seven" by Chuck Gross. It was not nearly the book that this one was. Not bad, but I'd waver between 2 1/2 and 3 Stars. Still, many heroic efforts in it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What about Chickenhawk, I have heard that it is supposed to be the leading book on the helecopter pilots in Vietnam?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
What about Chickenhawk, I have heard that it is supposed to be the leading book on the helecopter pilots in Vietnam?

Mike,
I read that one in high school many moons ago. From what I remember it was a good read.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Just ordered a copy. Thanks for tip.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just started Chickenhawk today. Barely a chapter into it but very readable.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up,,it's on my kindle now!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Finished Chickenhawk today. Great book. A bit more sobering than To the Limit and I found it a little more well rounded in terms of overall story. Still hard to imagine that it was young twenty year olds doing this.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Thanks for the heads-up,,it's on my kindle now!

Very good book,,,flying into the face of death daily!!! Must Respect for Air Cav Pilots!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote