New
Find
Notify
Tools

Read Any Good Books Lately?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Try "The Dark Side Of Camelot" if you are curious about the unvarnished version of John F. Kennedy. I was a teenager during his administration so I was very impressed with his public image and speaking skills. (It is not a new book.)

This book pretty much concentrates on his weaknesses, and behind the scene manipulation in world events and politics.

The book will make you think less of the man, but you can't but admire the way he sold himself to the American public. (The original "Slick Willy".)

Posts: 13774 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
James Ellroy's "American Tabloid" and "The Cold Six Thousand" gives a fictional account of those years, with all the historical figures in it (the Kennedys, Hoover, Hoffa etc). However, I have no opinion on the degree of historical truth in Ellroy's narrative, though I doubt that Hoffa in person killed people with baseball bats... Still, Ellroy knows how to tell a good story!

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
I've just finished reading a book called Hunter by a Scottish fellow called J A Hunter in which he tells of his life as a PH in Africa during the 20s through to the 40s. By all accounts this guy shot over a thousand elephants and about the same number of rhino. None of his tales got me on the edge of my seat the way some of Cappie's did.

Fiction wise, anything by Carl Hiaasen will do me. [Smile]

[ 06-30-2003, 21:48: Message edited by: British ]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
British- Hunter's autobiography has been discussed a lot on these forums. More than any other book, his was probably most responsible for renewed interest in African hunting following WWII. It was a tremendous best seller when it was first published, read by hunters and non-hunters alike.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think any book written by the late Gene Hill is great. Some of his stories will make you laugh, others will tug at your heartstrings. I read Gene Hill's columns in Sports Afield for many years, and then one of my sons had Gene Hill send me an autographed copy of "Tears and Laughter". I have been collecting his books ever since, always looking for autographed copies. I have dozens of his books; 4 & 5 copies of several, which I plan to give to my grandchildren when appropriate.
I heartily recommend Gene Hill's books to everyone, especially dog lovers. Try 'em, if you don't think they're great reading, email me & I'll buy the book from you, and that's a promise!

JMike

Posts: 1 | Location: Kelso WA 98626 | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished the Adventure series by Russell Annabel (for the umpteenth time), halfway through African Hunter by James Mellon (incredible book), and will be taking In Search of the Spiral Horn by Craig Boddington to England with me next week.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm reading "Memoirs Of An African Hunter", an autobiography by Terry Irwin, published by Safari Press. Terry hunted a lot in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania, first as a prospector, game ranger and professional hunter. He guided many prominant clients, procuring big ivory in many cases, the likes of which is seldom if ever encountered anymore. Lots of great photos. A very interesting and well written book by someone with contemporary experience of the same level as the famous early pioneer hunters.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote