Find
Notify
Tools

Finally acquired Keith's "Safari"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Finally after all this time I got a copy of Elmer Keith's 'Safari' (thanks 2triggers!).

Looking forward to reading this classic.

I know many of Keith's books have been reprinted; does anyone know the reason the family decided that Safari would not be reprinted? I'm sure that sales would be good for a book that sells used copies for hundreds and is hard to find.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my copy from Mr Keith at his home in late fall of 1981.

this might take a minute...

What he told me then, was that the one thing he insisted on with his books, was right of final approval. If he did not like it, it did not print. Truman Fowler was head of Safari Publications at that time, and he and Mr Keith were good friends. Fowler left SP just after Safari was submitted. The new editor felt free to edit Mr Keith's book, correct his grammar and syntax. There were a few incorrect captions, and some other minor things.

SP sent Mr Keith a couple copies of the pre-press run for approval. He was NOT happy with the book, and called to discuss the changes he said needed to be corrected. SP did not believe he would halt the press run, so they decided to play "Chicken." Mr Keith just told them fix it or forget it. They cancelled publication. A bit later, the new chap left SP. In the fall of 1981 a new warehouse employee found several crates of books in the back of the whse, covered with dust. He asked the manager what to do with them. The manager told him to ship the crates that were addressed. This crate arrived in Salmon, Idaho, with 240 (?) copies of Safari in it. Mr Keith had a 24x28 feet(?) steel frame building erected in his back yard, where most of his trophies were housed, along with his desk and office. I sat there visiting for an hour, just ga-ga over actually holding a copy in my hands. He sat there at his desk, and hand-corrected the caption errors for me and sold me three copies. All were inscribed to myself, and my two brothers.

Last summer my older brother passed away, and I listed the Elmer Keith books for sale on another forum. Safari sold for $475.

I have seen one other copy, not inscribed by Mr Keith. Which copy do you have?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I have very recently snagged three Elmer Keith books;
"Hell, I was There!"
Big Game Rifles and Cartridges
Keith's Rifles for Large Game Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Rich, I can take a photo of the page with the description, but as I recall it has a publishing date of 1968, Safari Publications, La Jolla. My copy doesn't have the jacket with the elephant painting. Just a green fabric covered book that says 'Safari' and 'Keith' on the cover. I've only read a bit but it is great stuff. I am really happy I finally have this book.

Certainly $475 for a signed copy was a good acquisition especially since Mr. Keith signed it in your presence. Your buyer was a lucky guy.

Scriptus, ha, me too! I just got a copy of Rifles for Large Game for $4.99.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought a dust jacketed copy 20 years ago that had been corrected and signed by elmer. the fellow sold it to me for $75 and i felt lucky to aquire it.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "deal" with Elmer Keith was he was not a "highly educated man" so his writings were, letters were say earthy and maybe what a college porifessor would say primitive...

I have a couble of letters from him to me...

Also the NRA had to edit a lot of his replies.

He was what he was. He was not an english professor, he was a gun guy of the highest order, and as the title of one of his books states, HE was there.

I cannot remember ANYTHING he ever wrote, baised on my personal experience, that was wrong.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I have a couple first edition Keith books.

They are exceptional, however I don't think he was getting the speed out of his 35 Whelan that he thought he was.

Beyond that I love every book he has ever written, the only other person I can say that bout is King David and Psalms.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that it has to do more with the Truman Fowler estate rather than the Keith estate. I remember reading that Truman Fowler had final say on reprinting and his estate didn't want it reprinted for some reason. I too have a copy signed and corrected by Elmer. I still have the original shipping envelope addressed by Keith. I remember it cost me around 10 bucks in 1981.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote