New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo! by Craig Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know, I know, another book by Craig Boddington (CB), but darn it, this guy can write. He is not the classic Hemingway or Ruark or Corbett, but he writes technically very correct and is easy to read. You do not get any "I am the expert" from him nor does he dwell on fantastic shots he makes. I would love to hunt with a guy like this as he appears to be a gentleman and a down to earth Africa-addict like many of us. I am just jealous he can hunt more often than I can.

This book is the fourth of his I have read. This is meant to be a semi-instructional book on hunting cape buffalo. After seeing "Boddington on Buffalo" and a couple of other videos, many people could likely write this book. However, CB adds his passion for hunting buffalo to this "how to" book. He is addicted to buff and that message comes across clearly in the book.

The book has plenty of very practical as well as tactical advice on hunting cape buffalo. In summary, he tells us to -

1. Hunt in a place where there are lots of buff (he names his picks).
2. Use a .375 h&H or bigger with a quality bullet.
3. Shoot the buff in the right spot.
4. Shoot until he drops.
5. Use bolt or double rifle. Use a scope for most situations.
6. Practice with your rifle.
7. Trust your PH and trackers.

Most of this you already know, but CB does a great job of illustrating the points and dissecting the methods used to hunt cape buffalo. He ends the book with a chapter on hunting the water buff and banteng in Australia with his daughter and a recap of a great hunt in Zambia with Bob Peterson. Great stories and easy reading.

Overall I rate this an 8 out of 10 for ease of reading, for quality of writing and because I like to read about cape buffalo hunting.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter bought me the book and then the video. I owe Gen. Boddington my one shot Buff. Good stuff from him, and a very nice guy, it seems.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rate it 10 out of 10.
This writer knows how to write good hunting related books.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think ten and a half! The man does not dramatize his hunts, and having made over seventy safaris since 1977 he has made more than one lap around the block!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Craig Boddington at the 2006 SCI show in Reno. It was only a few months before my first safari. I purchased Buffalo at the show and he kindly signed it. A one shot kill with a .458 Winchester took a lot of drama out of the hunt.

I learned a great deal from the book. One of his best.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
He's a great guy and you'll find all his books, both new and used here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...book-collection.html