New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Corbett
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just started reading again (for the umpteenth time)Corbett's "Man-Eaters of Kumaon.Really good read.Brings back memorys of books of my youth along with "Tarzan of the Apes"+"Huckleberry Finn".I remember reading some time back in one of the Corbett biographies about his experiences traing the British troops in jungle survival skills during WW2.It was mentioned that upon occasion,while in the jungle,he would stop + take small drinks from tepid pools of water.Upon being asked his reasoning,his reply was,"It keeps my immune system up.Above all else I found him to be a humble gentleman,+ unlike some authors I could mention,I never doubted that what he said was the truth.I wouls assume anyone reading this forum has probably already read this but if not I recommend it highly.In my own limited exploits of DG,I have thought of Corbett + the nerve he displayed in his dispatching.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4299 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gibbs505
posted Hide Post
I have read all his books, they are great!!

So I can't spell, so what!!!
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Posts: 130 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have read MAN EATERS OF KUMAON great book ,Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred Duckworth, who is still alive, was born in India and hunted with Jim Corbett when he was a boy. Fred hunts in CAR and writes books. I wish Fred would write about him. Corbett was the real thing. I once met a man named Peter Turnbill Kemp at the Rhodes Nyanga Hotel in Zimbwbwe who knew him after he moved to Kenya. He went there after India became independant. India in Corbett's day and its big game must have been more interesting than Africa.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Corbett was the real thing."

Hi Ted:

So is Duckworth, in addition to being a nice guy. When I saw him in January he said he was working on a book on the golden age of hunting in India, which I assume will include his experiences with Corbett.

In my mind, Fred is a better writer than Corbett ever dreamed of being.

I know of only one book that he's had published, though. Are there others?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill,

I have only seen one. I think it was published by Rowland Wards.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill,

At one time I applied to the Tai government regarding getting tained Indian elephants. They had a surplus of them and I figured if I could get a ready trained elephant to Tanzania it would be an interesting way to hunt lions. But it got too complicated for many reasons so I dropped the idea.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I have only seen one. I think it was published by Rowland Wards. ....
At one time I applied to the Tai government regarding getting tained Indian elephants. They had a surplus of them and I figured if I could get a ready trained elephant to Tanzania it would be an interesting way to hunt lions. But it got too complicated for many reasons so I dropped the idea."

Hi Ted:

You're correct that it was published by RW. I have a copy somewhere that Fred and his wife inscribed for me (she illustrated the book). I think it was called "An Exceptional Life," or something similar. It's interesting and well written, and RW did a good job in packaging it, as usual.

Your elephant scheme sounds like a nifty story. As I've said before, you need to write a book.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote