THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    9.3x62 Mauser Journal by Hendrik van der Schyff

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 Mauser Journal by Hendrik van der Schyff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
anyone read this ? And where would I find a copy ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the first edition copies. You are welcome to have it if you like. Not my cup of tea at all.

Search for it on the Safari & Outdoor and Zimbi Books websites. Either are likely to have copies in stock.

I love my Type-A 9,3 but the contents of this particular journal leaves me a bit cold, especially the bit where the author tries to prove that the 9,3 is somehow more "relevant" than the .30-06 by custom loading the 9,3 with some of the most aerodynamic bullets available for the calibre but then saddling the .30-06 with shite PMP round-nose 180's doing maybe 2 550 fps. It is based on ballistic drivel, and the older I get the less tolerant I am of such things.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate . I have read the advertising blurb for the book , but often the reality is a mite differant. I dont really have shelf space for a book that I may not finish reading ....

Having said that I have sent you a pm about your offer anyway ;-)

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:

I love my Type-A 9,3 but the contents of this particular journal leaves me a bit cold, especially the bit where the author tries to prove that the 9,3 is somehow more "relevant" than the .30-06 by custom loading the 9,3 with some of the most aerodynamic bullets available for the calibre but then saddling the .30-06 with shite PMP round-nose 180's doing maybe 2 550 fps. It is based on ballistic drivel, and the older I get the less tolerant I am of such things.

There is a lot of that garbage in our American gun rags. It drives me crazy!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pierre van der Walt thinks it is the New(er) Testament.

Me too, where can I find a copy? I got a build in process on a gorgeous 1908 Brazilian Mauser in 9,3x62.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Pierre van der Walt thinks it is the New(er) Testament.

Me too, where can I find a copy? I got a build in process on a gorgeous 1908 Brazilian Mauser in 9,3x62.

Rich

The Newer Testament of WHAT? Hendrik van der Schyff is an idiot. Aside from that, you are not known for making the most intelligent of statements online, either. I have a 9,3 (a real one), love it to bits, and are not likely to sell it one day soon. On this subject, at least, I'm suitably qualified.

PIERRE VAN DER WALT?! OFFS, start thinking...

BTW Murray, It's on it's way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jvw,

the New Testament is the part of the Bible starting with the fulfillment of prophecies regarding God's sending His Son to redeem the lost children of Israel and fulfill His covenant with Moses. Great book, you should read it sometime.

PVDW talks about it as a book written in 2005 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Otto Bock's design.

I am guessing you have not read South African ballistics expert Pierre van der Walt's excellent book "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" yet either?

It starts with the 9,3x62 Mauser cartridge, which PVDW considers the perfect transition bore rifle for everything, including dangerous game, in a pinch. He states in his book, that they (SA) held a centenary celebration in 2005 and that a book was written about the round. Nice photo of Ganyana dropping a young bull Elephant in full charge at 2 paces with a 9,3x62 in his book as well. He thinks a man with a good Mauser 9,3x62 and one in 404 Jeffery's is all a man needs to hunt the world. I would tend to agree with his assessment, other than that would be too limiting, and exclude double rifles. I would, however, take those two and a Searcy in .500 NE 3" and be happy. Funny thing, I have both in process as I type this.

Thanks for the compliment, I am guessing you are not a legendary intellect either, except perhaps in your own mind...

The good news, to be certain, is that your continued blissful existence is N-O-T dependent on my posts here.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Far be for me to wade into a private spat , so

The book arrived , I have read the English language articles - about half the book is in Afrikaans which I dont read , and I cant say that I am in awe of the information. Its a nice addition to my library but unlikely to be a book I reach for first when I am researching the 9.3 calibre. It does have a few nice pics though , and a nice article by Doctari......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No spat. All sorted out.