New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Great African Calibers" by Tony Sanchez
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got an email yesterday from Safari Press announcing a new book about African rifles and cartridges. Here is the description from their website:

"Tony Sanchez is nearing his sixtieth year as a hunter in Africa, a record that is hard to equal. With such a great amount of time spent in pursuit of dangerous game comes a great deal of experience with calibers and rifles. Right from the outset—during his hunts in West Africa during the 1950s—he was interested in what type of gun and what kind of bullet he was shooting. That interest in firearms and ammunition has never dimmed. His fascination with this subject can be viewed as one of the great loves of his life—along with his love for his wife, Isabel, and his love of elephants. As might be expected from a man who likes the “big” in big game, this book starts with the .375 and works its way up to the .700. All calibers in between are covered, which he breaks down into the calibers for bolt actions (a total of 16 calibers) and the rimmed cartridges for double rifles (a total of 14 calibers). Tony has shot doubles and bolt-action rifles alike, and he has been a well-known client of numerous European manufacturers who have delivered to him a great variety of guns. He likes doubles as much as bolt actions, and it is refreshing to see no bias in his approach to these completely different types of weapons. He tells us which bullets and which actions work and which ones do not. With a almost unbelievable amount of elephant, lion, buffalo kills to his name, he can justly be said to have more experience with “The African Calibers” on dangerous game than any other person alive. His book will be read by generations to come because his advice is timeless and because it is based on vast experience. Introduction by Russell Wilkin.

250pp, color photos, 8.5x11, hardcover. Volume 16 in Safari Press’s Classics in Sporting Firearms Series. Ltd. edn. of 500 numbered, signed, & slipcased copies."

It is selling for $85. I've already ordered mine. It looks really interesting.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine at the SCI Convention a very good read.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press also has a trade edition for $39.95