THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Mongolia, Nunavut, and Alaska from Sherman Heines.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mongolia, Nunavut, and Alaska from Sherman Heines.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Have you guys read the Sherman Heins books on Alaska, Mongolia, and Nunavut?

They are interesting and a little informational, though the last 10 pages are all advertisements.

I would recommend them if your interested in making a trip, but in a few years the information will be really dated. Great photography if nothing else.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Nope. Haven't read these, but I do have all of his books on trophy rooms. Sherman Hines is an excellent photographer and his books are always beautifully illustrated and well-edited. However, they also all have a lot of advertising (usually more than just ten pages), which makes them profitable for him but cheapens them in MHO.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%

I wish someone else would do a more indepth book on Mongolia, or every Asian hunting country similar to what Tony Sanchez-Arino did for Africa.

I have Klinebergers and Gates books that have a ton of stuff on Asia.

The amount of time I have spent in Asia, I need to do more hunting. I have only hunted pigs in Turkey while stationed there.

They wanted me to poach a ibex with them, but I didnt think it was worth the drama.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Poached Ibex would be fine with the right gravy and a good red wine.... Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
D99:

I have two books on Mongolian hunting.

"Hunting in Mongolia" with photos by Sherman Hines, text by Batsukh Galsan, a prominent Mongolian hunter. It is a beautiful and excellent book, even with the advertising Hines always has in the back of all his books. The address may be out of date, but what I have is: Hines Proguide, 659 Avondale Road, Newport NS Canada B0N 2A0. tel: (902) 757-0153.

"Mongolia Hunter" is by Patrick J. Stewart, an Alaskan who hunted sheep several times there. The first book is excellent. Stewart's is good. His 1994 address was: 2253 Forest Park Drive, Anchorage AK 99517.... (907) 279-4180.

Hope that helps.

I shot elk and Siberian roebuck in Mongolia in the early 1990s. It was a fabulous experience, even though our guides got lost, my translator got drunk and vomited on me, and the Mongols stopped talking because I shot a roebuck while we were stalking an elk, which delayed our return to Ulan Bator.

I like to say I rode a yak, slept in a yurt, and hunted a Yelk there.

I'd go back tomorrow for ibex if I were younger.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have the Hines book, and I will get a hold of Pat and get his on order when I my feet are in Maine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
D99:

I have two books on Mongolian hunting.

"Hunting in Mongolia" with photos by Sherman Hines, text by Batsukh Galsan, a prominent Mongolian hunter. It is a beautiful and excellent book, even with the advertising Hines always has in the back of all his books. The address may be out of date, but what I have is: Hines Proguide, 659 Avondale Road, Newport NS Canada B0N 2A0. tel: (902) 757-0153.

"Mongolia Hunter" is by Patrick J. Stewart, an Alaskan who hunted sheep several times there. The first book is excellent. Stewart's is good. His 1994 address was: 2253 Forest Park Drive, Anchorage AK 99517.... (907) 279-4180.

Hope that helps.

Bill Quimby

That's Patrick Steward with a "d"... Wink And, that book is excellent, one of the finest pure hunting books I have read.

Don't forget about Captain John Brandt's "Asian Hunter". While not about Mongolia, exclusively, he does have stories written by others in there. Kind of the Asian continent's version of Mellon's "African Hunter". Elgin Gates' "Trophy Hunter in Asia" has a few Mongolia accounts. "Wind, Dust and Snow" by Robert Anderson is exceptional as well.

Another that isn't about Mongolia, per se, but has some great Mongolian hunts accounted, is "The Weatherby", compiled and edited by Nancy Voskins. This is basically a biographical summary of each Weatherby Award winner, and one story from each winner. Quite a few Mongolian and Asian mountain hunting stores in there.

Also, there are many old books, that deal with hunting Mongolia exclusively. Many were reprinted by John Culler & Sons several years ago and you still find copies from time to time. "Unknown Mongolia" by Carruthers and Prince Demidoff's "After Wild Sheep in the Altai and Mongolia" are two.

There's also plenty of hunting books or exploration books that have hunting in them. Roy Chapman Andrews wrote a few (though not considered purely hunting), William Morden's "Across Asian's Snows and Deserts" has a great deal of Mongolian hunting, Ricardo Medem's "Argali", are just a few.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spent an unreasonable amount of money on Asian books in the last 6 weeks. I blame about 75% of that on Dave. He's the kind of person I should have been warned about...forget the Hell's Angels type of character...beware the regular looking guy with a regular job who talks about foreign lands and strange critters until money starts flying out of your account. Be very afraid.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Poached Ibex would be fine with the right gravy and a good red wine.... Wink

Something about Turkish prisons and being the only American didn't turn me on.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have bought some really good books lately and some really crappy ones.

Even the odd Kieth, Capstick, Boddington, or O'Connor turns out less than good.

Not sure who I think is more of a tool Heines for the adverts in the back of his books, or Gates for the BS in his.

How is Scott Haugen's new Alaska book? I have never read anything buy him in book form, only magazine so I don't know how he rates?