THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This book is a lot like "Atlas Shrugged" for gun nuts. The main character (like the author) is an investment adviser and also an amateur pilot and machine gun dealer. The books lays out the factual and unconstitutional basis for all firearms laws in the United States (you can look them all up), and, as the title says, the consequences.

There are lots of references to large figures in the American gun culture, some in disguise (Richard Davis is rendered "David Richards"), some not. I think a major character is based on Peter Capstick, but I don't want to spoil surprises.

I needed to pick up "Military Small Arms of the 20th Century" by Ian Hogg and John Weeks as a glossary of the guns Ross is talking about.

There is some sex in the book that I don't think is essential to the overall plot. Maybe it's there so responsible parents won't hand the book to impressionable kids who might emulate the protagonist. Then again, I didn't think the sex stuff in "Atlas Shrugged" added a whole lot to the story.

Also, I finished the book wondering about the dumb kid who grew up to be a congressman character. I imagine the relevant part this character played in the story was edited out, but the character was left in.

On the whole, I liked the book a lot.

H. C.

[ 07-14-2003, 01:31: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
Also, I finished the book wondering about the dumb kid who grew up to be a congressman character.

H. C.

Henry,

I put Gephardt's face on the Congressmen character (J. Ross is from St. Louis)....

It is a "Must Read" for any Americans who cherish the 2nd.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great read for any gun owner. Just enough sex for spice. I hear he has another book in the works.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi, this site was recommended to me by Eshell on Full-Auto.

I'd like to mention that I have just finished (after three hard years) writing a major second amendment novel called "Enemies Foreign And Domestic." You can read 20 chapters of the book on my website.

I just sent a link to author Claire Wolfe, this is what she said on her WolfesBlog:

"A sniper opens fire on a crowded football stadium on the first day of the season. The crowd panics and stampedes. A thousand people die ... and the federal government immediately goes not only into gun-banning mode, but into a post-911-type security frenzy that ultimately brings the country FIST (Firearm Inspections Stop Terrorism) checkpoints and brutal demonization of gun owners. The alleged (and quickly deceased) sniper has conveniently used a "military-style assault weapon," and conveniently fits the profile every anti-gunner loves to hate. The loss of freedom looks unstoppable. But is it?

"And that's merely the opening of Enemies Foreign and Domestic, the first novel by Matthew Bracken, a self-described "freedom addict." The book is due out the end of this month. You can read a generous selection of excerpts on the Web site and put in your pre-order, as well.

"Unlike most freedom-movement novels, this one is loaded with action and populated by characters you'll believe, like, and identify with. Go Matthew! I can't wait to read the whole thing." -- Claire Wolfe, author of "101 Things to do 'Til the Revolution."
This is a real "shooter's" book, with guns from .22 long rifle on up used on every page. Most of the folks who have read it say it is better than Unintended Consequences, it's a 2nd Amd novel written more in the style of Stephen Hunter's "Point of Impact." Give the website a look, and let me know what you think.

Matt Bracken

Posts: 2 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
Henry,

I put Gephardt's face on the Congressmen character (J. Ross is from St. Louis)...

Not being from Misouri, I haven't watched Gephardt that much. Is he a pretty dim bulb in real life?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Best book on american love of their guns there is, in MHO.I have given this book to a dozen friends since it has been out.I think it helps for other to understand the any gunowners love of their guns.and just how serious we should be on keeping them at any cost.Do you have enough ammo to wage attacks on anyone wanting to take your guns? hopefully most of us have been stockpiling for years,keeping the older shot up and replacing it with newer all the time.with one old bot action,you can get any black rifle you care to take if it ever comes to that.Still a lot of decent priced and good ammo around for world war 2 guns. Do you have enough??? Our friend Edmond is now reading it and from what i have heard from him, he has lost some sleep because of staying up to read it.
muskrat
live free or die

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This should be a MUST READ for any one! Opend my eyes,I sure view different govt agencies in a different light after reading this book. The best book I have read in a long time!

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a very good book as well. Loaned it out and took over a year to get it back. The two friends that read it during that time enjoyed it too. Just have to keep it all in perspective.

If Travis McGee's book (plugged above) reads as well all the way through as the first few chapters do, it'll give U.C. a run for the money. [Cool]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read just a few pages of EF&D here. Reads fast, you can see the faces of the people mentioned (no doubt by design) and jumping from one excerpt to another doesn't slow or confuse the story. Schuleman... good name, Matt. No doubt who that sewer-dweller is.

[ 07-25-2003, 19:27: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt

I read the chapters available on your website.....honestly, the quality of writing is not as good as Hunter or Ross......however, I did enjoy what I read, and would like to read the rest of the book.......but I'm simply not willing to pay $20 for a paperback book from a novice author.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote