Find
Notify
Tools

Atlas Shrugged
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ayn Rand was prophetic.

Everyday seems like more and more of her words are comming true.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
You know the first part of the AS movie is slated for release on 4/15?

AS is a good book, the Fountainhead I think is a bit better though. I just connected with Howard Roark more than Galt or Taggart.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I still think the most awakening book for me was Anthem, by Ayn Rand.
Read it in 6th or 7th grade and realized it was okay to not "conform".
Looking forward to the Atlas Shrugged movie.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! I read Anthem in the 8th grade and never looked back.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly surprising that we have'nt received any discussionary response on this classic [novel].(We can't call it TRUE,can we?)So sad if people forget great Literature.

Posts: 4245 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recently listened to "shruggged" on audioook. It is a massive read. 50 cd's!! Sometimes she drones on ad-nauseam. When john Galt gives his speach over the air it takes up more than an entire CD! But the underlying theme of the book is brilliant.

I find her works to be somewhat of a unique and revealing testament to what a negative reaction to Communist oppression really is and why one might feel that way.

Anthem is also a profound read. I thought it would make a good foundation for a Ray Bradbury flick.. Quite the "twilight zone" feel.

For another rather unique look at a reactive response to the former Soviet union one might also check the old british cartoon "Animal Farm". It is rather bizzare but speaks volumes of how people felt about Soviet oppression in the '50's.

I havent read fountianhead yet. It is on my short list.

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Animal Farm may be based on Orwelle's book by the same name if it takes place in a barnyard.

Anthem was pretty good and reminded my of 1984 and Brave NEw World all wrapped into one.

I think you'll like FOuntainhead better than Atlas Shrugged, a more readable book with not as much drone to it.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Ayn Rand was prophetic.

Everyday seems like more and more of her words are comming true.

Unfortunatly Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem is they haven't come to spirit me away to the secret place yet....

Rick (long time Objectivist)

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno I liked Atlas shrugged better than Fountainhead, it was good but I prefered Atlas.

I missed Anthem in school but my daughter had it assigned and I read that one, a good short to the point read.

Animal Farm, while not by Rand, is a good one also.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A book everyone should read is The True Believer by Eric Hoffer. Add to this The Crowd by Gustave le Bon and The Prince by Machiavelli and you have a picture of modern-day politics.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My education obviously suffered by being born too soon.

Atlas Shrugged was published in 1957, when I was a university senior majoring in business, and after my last English course. In the years that the book still was newsworthy, I was too busy making a living to read except for mere entertainment.

This thread -- and the excellent summary of Atlas Shrugged on Wikipedia -- led to my ordering the paperback. Look forward to reading it. Thanks, Baxter.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged is a great book for brown bear hunting on the Alaska Penisula!! When it blows,snows,and rains for days and you are tent bound it's a perfect companion. I have The Fountainhead on DVD with Gary Cooper & Raymond Massey,its a little dated but goes real good with the book. Towards the end some of Roarks building designs are shown which makes the movie,IMHO.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another powerful piece from AR is her short work We The Living which is set in St. Petersburg at time of bolshevik rise to power.

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the DVD "Atlas Shrugged" at WallyWorld of all places.

I thought it was well done for the budget they had to tinker with it a bit and make it in the future ( Obama's idea of the future ) I have watched it a few times.

The choice of actors was interesting.

It was well worth the $15, I hope they make enough money off the first to produce part two.