New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you name the writer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thought this might be a fun little exercise for this forum, since we seem to be a bit slow as of late. Below are 3 quotes from very well known writers in some of their best known works.

1.Ever the adventurer, even in the face of starvation and the Chinese invasion of Hunza, ********** defiantly crossed over into China, slipping behind a Chinese patrol, to shoot a Himalayan Ibex. He actually took the time to write a note:

quote:
"Dear Mao:
Just a short note to let you know how much I enjoyed my recent hunt in China. I apologize for not having a hunting license for Sinkiang Province, but with the approval of Ayub Khan and a little help from a couple of your boys, the hunt was a great success. I'm pleased to inform you that I will always cherish this wonderful gift from China."

quote:
The terrorist war had become particularly ugly in the last year or so. The end was in sight, and each side jockeying for last-minute postioning. The planes had been shot down over Kariba and the survivors butchered, and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't on my mind when ********** and I climbed into the Air Rhodesia Viscount for the short flight from Johannesburg to Bulawayo. The plane was painted flat, nonreflective gray, and our pretty seatmate was kind enough to point out that the paint help confuse heat-seeking S.A.M. missles, a most comforting thought. She also prepared us for a very fast descent without lights, but she was good enough to offer us a ride to Bulawayo-which was gratefully accepted.

...Barrie [Duckworth] came by at midmorning, quickly took charge, and we were off to southeast Zimbabwe, the lowveld country. The only problem was Air Rhodesia's refusal to check Barrie's fragmentation grenades. His 7.62mm F.N. and loaded magazines were no problem, but they drew the line at the grenades, much to Duckworth's dismay.

quote:
I am convinced that it is extremely unwise for any man to hunt elephant, buffalo, or rhino with a gun of less than .450 caliber. A light rifle simply will not stop a charge. While I was on a hunt in Southern Tanganyika, I met a Dutch sportsman named Lediboor who was very eager to get an African elephant. The man came from Java and had shot several Indian elephants. He proudly showed me his gun -- a .405 caliber he had used with great success in Ceylon.

I told the man frankly that his gun was too light for African big game. All African animals, even antelope, are remarkedly tenacious of life. They will take punishment that would quickly finish off Asiatic, European, or American game animals. But it is one of the hardest things I know of to try to convert another hunter to your way of thinking. He will listen politely and then, whether rightly or wrongly, will continue to cling to his own belief. Lediboor had shot elephant in India with his .405. Therefore the gun could stop African elephants.

A few weeks later, Mr. Millar, a tsetse fly research official in the Kilossa district, happended to pass my camp and told me that Lediboor had been killed by his first elephant. Lediboor had sighted a herd and climbed a tree to get a better shot at them. He dropped one and feeling very elated, started toward the beast. The elephant was only stunned. He leaped up and charged Lediboor. All that Mr. Millar could say was that judging from the mangled remains, Lediboor had not suffered.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
No. 1 -- Elgin Gates.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.A .Hunter is the last one

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of you are right. Anyone to make a guess on the 2nd?

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Boddington on nr 2?

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Anyone to make a guess on the 2nd?"

Nope, but I'd like to read his book.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is Boddington. Was taken from the chapter on his first trip to Zim in "From Mount Kenya to the Cape".

Craig's books are very well written and sure stirs the coals of the fire that takes me back to Africa. I like Craigs columns in Guns and Ammo, Sports Afield and others, but his books are so much more well written. I am hoping he will write a Mountain Sheep hunting book soon.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I'm going to read "From Mt. Kenya to the Cape" again. I must have slept through the passage you quoted when I read and reviewed it years ago.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I can't remember the chapter it came from, but was on the first page of the chapter, I think.

Boddington certainly can string words together that do much more than make a sentence. His description of the lions roaring while hunting Zambia when he was drifting off to sleep his first night there (Where Lions Roar book), and several passages in 'Search for the Spiral Horn' paint a vision much different than his black and white print for magazine articles. He reminds me of Jack O'Connor in that sense.