New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shangaan Song by David Hulme
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Our own David Hulme who posts frequently here has published a book that consists of short stories from his childhood to the present about life in the lowveld of Rhodesia turned to Zimbabwe. He tells amazing stories, one after another, that gives the non-African reader a view to how you lived when you were raised on a farm in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. He structures the stories around his deep relationship with Pencil, a mentor, lion hunter of legend in his home area. It is an excellent book that can be read in bits and pieces to give the reader time to digest the message, and the lifestyle of David and others as he weaves them into his short stories.

Be prepared to tear up at times when you read about some of the tragedies that are faced by the whites and blacks in coping with life in a tough place to live.

Contact David about the book. It is a good one and fun departure from the "I saw, shot it and stuffed it" books that are frequently out there.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
When posting info on backpacking prior to David's trek around Zim, I became aware of his book The Shangaan Song and ordered a copy when it was reprinted. Finally I have caught up on my reading and am now about half way through this most entertaining, well written, and easy to read series of short stories.

The individual stories provide a mix of interesting, humorous, and more serious insights into the often missed day-to-day behind the scenes histories, peoples, animals and events in day-to-day real-world Africa. I highly recommend this great little book. --- Warning, don't start it right before bedtime or you might spend more time reading than sleeping!

Source: The Shangaan Song Proceeds from the book also support his Borderline Walk in support of Hunters for Zimbabwe.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you dogcat and Oday for those kind words, this is the first time I've seen this post...

The new international version of 'The Shangaan Song' is now available at a revised price in paperback, eBook and file download version here:
http://www.lulu.com/product/pa...h_shelf%2Fcenter%2F1
http://www.lulu.com/content/e-...angaan-song/10394722

Support the Borderline Walk/Hunters for Zimbabwe and our community/conservation efforts by ordering this book.

Comment for The Shangaan Song:

‘The best thing I’ve read in a long time. A must read for anyone
who has been to southern Africa, anyone who might go, or anyone
who loves a good story ... ’
Craig Boddington
Executive Field Editor, Intermedia Outdoors

‘Well-drawn and convincing .... skillfully captured.’
African Hunter Magazine

‘His love for his country and fellow man comes shining
through’
Dr Colin Saunders
Author of Gonarezhou - A Place for Elephants

‘Written with the passion of Karen Blixen and the wit of Herman
Charles Bosman, this book belongs on your shelf with Capstick,
Hemmingway and Out of Africa’
Mitch Mitchell
African Expedition Magazine

The timespan covered by this story is all in the eye of the beholder, as is the direction taken by a traveler. It could cover a period of seventeen years through the eyes of an inexperienced mfana (boy), or it could cover a century of history through the eyes of an ancient and wise mdala (old man), it all depends on which way you look at it…

The Shangaan Song is a ragged assortment of stories from the Zimbabwean bush, as non-conforming and unpredictable as the land in which it is set. Adventure, comedy, tragedy and paradox, this book is a stimulating and evocative read for anyone who knows rural Africa, or for anyone who wishes to know it.

Proceeds from the sale of this book will be used to support the Borderline Walk – a foot journey of approximately four thousand kilometers along Zimbabwe’s border. The Borderline Walk is an initiative aimed at raising awareness for Hunters for Zimbabwe, an organization whose primary objective is the advancement of Zimbabwean people and wildlife.

Read stories and get updates on the Borderline Walk/Hunters for Zimbabwe here:
http://www.africanxmag.com/the_bordeline_walk.htm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/...ne-Walk/245494924431

I am very far behind with updates and I apologize for that, to those who have been trying to follow on either AR or Facebook or the African Expedition magazine. I have reached Chimanimani and am now on yet another extended break, consolidating, writing, waiting for more cameras and other kit and generally trying to put my life in order! My injured walking partner Jacob (the 6th) is well on the road to recovery after a terrible accident and we will be heading out again towards the year end, objective Victoria Falls. I will get the Facebook page up to date and all overdue articles submitted to www.africanxmag.com ASAP. If you do the Facebook thing, please become a friend of our page and support this ongoing endeavor.

Look out for the Borderline Zambezi Valley 2012 Calendar which will be available online through Lulu soon!

Many thanks for your support, as always.

David Hulme

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
David, I will be purchasing this tonight on my iPad. Thanks for letting us know this is out there. I look forward to reading it.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike, I do hope you enjoy the read. I'm sending you a PM re JudgeG having a problem with his kindle. Just thought you may be able to help since I can't. He has downloaded the file but can't translate it.....

Dave

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Picked up David's book on iBooks. You can download it to your iPhone or iPad. Started reading it yesterday and have read three chapters. Very enjoyable and easy to read. It is written in vignettes so it is easy to pick up and put down. Well done David.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
An excellent collection of stories. On a personal note, I hunted on David's boyhood ranch "Ruware" in 2007 that is now part of the Chiredzi River Conservancy. At that time it was being encroached upon by "settlers". However, one could still see the natural beauty of the land and the care that was given by David's family and prior owners.

David, Les and I look forward to seeing you at Russell's in a few weeks.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you RCG, I look forward to meeting you and Les too sir.

David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone who helped rank the 'The Shangaan Song' 35th in the Lulu Sports and Adventure category this week. May not mean much to many, but it means a great deal to me. Your support is appreciated, David