New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTS Burt Foster knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The other is gone, here is an lightly used,never sharpened Integral Combat. 6.5" blade, 52100 steel, $300 shipped. From website:

In a continued effort to offer the professional soldier or Marine a high performance cutting tool that is affordable, I started making the integral combat knives. These knives are forged from one solid round piece of 52100 steel. This not only makes them incredibly strong, but they have a graceful, elegant look that is not often found in other knives. The blade shape with it's long clip, along with a nice distal taper, makes this knife very light and fast.

The blade flats are satin finished, and all other parts of the knife are covered in KG Gunkote for rust prevention. The handle is wrapped in 550 test black parachute cord which gives great gripping under almost any condition.

The sheath, like the others is versatile and can be carried in several different ways depending on the need.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
As a professional Sailor whos pends about 6 months a year chasing terrorist in the sand box.

I'll tell you what I like and what I don't.

Length I carry two knives both are folders and I carry one in each pocket of my BDUs. Ideally you have an ability to get to one of them.

One has an 8 inch blade and is similar to a Fairbarn Applegate fighter, it stays pretty sharp and I use it 99% of the time for opening boxes, eating dinner, and cleaning my nails.

A fighting knife is only a fighting knife about one chance in 10,000.

The other is a CRKT knife that looks like a Finnish Puukko with fat handles. It has a 3.5 inch blade and is not serrated either.

I almost think something like the Spyderco rescue 8 in a serated model would be perfect, as most of the time you are opening supplies, cutting parachute cord, and trying to open the lobster tails we seem to get most fridays.

On the rate chance that you are going to use it to slash through someones throat, a seatbelt, or slash a tire it's handy to have that seration.

A pointed blade knife like the spyderco rescue eight seems a lot more ideal. But that's just one professional military mans experience.

I woulnd't even mind a fixed blade knife, but it is a pain in the ass for us to walk around 99% of the time with one on. The base commanders get pissy about them, so it's easier to have a couple folders in your pocket.

While I would love an integral handle knife for the strength, I would not want to use one with a wrapped paracord handle. Paracord is just too much of a pain in the ass to keep clean.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have never used a knife on patrol, but I use it in camp 5 or 6 times a day.

Think of it this way; What is the primary purpose of an ejection seat in a F-18? .............................................................................It's a seat 99.99999 percent of the time, it's that odd chance when it is your means of egress.

A knife in the war zone is a knife 99.999 percenf of the time, and a weapon.00001.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
This sounds like an excellent knife - for someone else. In my later and wiser years I have come to carry only folders.* They get the job done, are easy to carry, and offer a great deal less bulk and without having a sheathed knife dangle from my belt.
* Except when I am hunting boars with a knife.

D99. What folder do you have with an 8" blade? knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote