Notify
Tools

Unintended Consequences--John Ross
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy All:

Say does anyone know what the deal is with the book Unintended Consequences by John Ross?

Years ago I bought it at Barnes & Noble for $25 or something. Lent it out and it is gone.

So, now none of the major book stores carry it. Amazon has a link to other sellers where it sells for something like $225.

Just curious if anyone knows about this book, thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10198 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks that's it. That is half of the price of Amazon's used sellers.

I just don't understand why this went up so much in value. Damn I wish all the books I bought did the same. I'd have a couple of good safaris paid for.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading it for the first time myself. WOW! I immediatly started it again. I don't have a clue how I missed this one.

It makes my all time top 10.

I don't think you will find this one at any "main stream" book stores.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
First, the publisher stopped printing the hardcover edition, it is now being published in softcover. The softcover is not out yet and will be $30.00.

Second, this is from the John Ross website FAQ:

Didn’t you have to change the storyline or something after the first edition because you got sued, and that’s why first editions are so expensive?

Not the storyline, just a few words. A minor fictional character with one name (you can’t tell if it’s a first or last name, or what gender, like "Kerry") makes a derogatory comment about the FBI in one sentence in the book. I got a letter from a lawyer who told me his client recognized himself and that the feds were targeting his client because now they thought his client was anti-government, because of one sentence in an 800-page work of fiction. I changed the (fictional) name and the location for subsequent printings. The story is exactly the same.

First editions of Unintended Consequences are as expensive as they are (over $200 in new condition) because collectors often bid up the price of first editions when the book has historic significance, i.e. a first-novel bestseller that establishes an author and goes into multiple printings.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Good to know, thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Everyone in Amercia needs to read this book. We are headed that way much sooner than I expected.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the URL?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a PDF copy that I downloaded from somewhere, just can't remember where. I'm sure a little searching will find it.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought this book during the Klinton regime, thought I saw parallels then. Have since bought it for several friends, they have to a man claimed it the best read of their lives. I agree 100%, and have now read it 4 times.

Today, it scares me to death how close we are to this becoming our reality. If so, we can only hope enough of us have the balls to stand up and make a difference.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure I am going to die one of these days anyway. If you believe in "God, Country, and Family..." there are still things worth dying over.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I figure I am going to die one of these days anyway. If you believe in "God, Country, and Family..." there are still things worth dying over.

Rich

Rich, I am like General George Patton on subjects like this.

There ARE things worth killing over... Let the other SOB's Die... Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent book that. I have bought several + given to friends.Amazing (or not) that the 1st edition HB goes for that much.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4244 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a signed frist edition to bad it is so worn from being read so much that I dought it is worth much.

I surpose I could have kept it un read but what fun would that have been.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worry's p dog. You have not used up all of the words.The TRUE value still remains.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4244 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norm that made me smile have a great day

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote