New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bartle Bull Trilogy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just for grins + to introduce others to Bartle Bulls works. The Trilogy discussed as per heading reads as follows;#1-The White Rhino Hotel, #2- Cafe on the Nile'#3- The Devil's Oasis.]In my own opinion 'Cafe On The Nile' was the best;but that's just me.Welcoming feedback fellow bibliophiles.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addendum= I do have a 1st. edition H.B (duh) of his "Safari" but these books are PURE pleasure in the genre of historical fiction.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed The White Rhino Hotel. Cafe on the Nile was different, but also a good read.

I have The Devil's Oasis but have not read it yet. I think I opened it and read the first few pages, but it did not draw me in as the others had.

There was some shocking stuff in WRH and I think that was what made it so interesting.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All are good. I have given several used copies of "Safari" as gifts, it's a great overview.
"In the Blood" is now available on DVD, give it a look, too.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have Safari by Bartle Bull and like it, but I am mystified as to why Harry Selby isn't really mentioned?

I'l have to check the other titles out, I thought Safari was well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,best wishes.I hope you enjoy the novels as they are truly good.Not to trouble yourself as to Harry's absence (I'm sure he's not worried),+ besides I have read numerous volumes of WW2 + Battle 0f Britain where ever Churchill was not named.......Please enjoy the novels.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I know Harry could probably care less, just a curiosity as he provides such a tangible link to a lot of history.