THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Africa's Most Dangerous-The Southern Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa's Most Dangerous-The Southern Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just read the new book by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson by the above title. I believe it to be one of the best books on hunting the Cape Buffalo ever written. Its chapters on rifles, calibers, sights, and bullets would be excellent on any African dangerous game animal. As one would expect, chapters on buffalo anatomy and bullet placement are the best in the business. I think the book is a must read for anyone serious about buffalo hunting. MUFASA

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I have just read the new book by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson by the above title. I believe it to be one of the best books on hunting the Cape Buffalo ever written. Its chapters on rifles, calibers, sights, and bullets would be excellent on any African dangerous game animal. As one would expect, chapters on buffalo anatomy and bullet placement are the best in the business. I think the book is a must read for anyone serious about buffalo hunting. MUFASA"

Agreed!

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just received the book as a Christmas present and have thumbed through it but haven't started it yet.... looks promising, great pix and Kevin's book "The Perfect Shot" is a classic so I can imagine it will read as good as it looks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Africa's Most Dangerous-The Southern Buffalo

How does it compare to Craig Boddington's book - Buffalo! ?

Posts: 10192 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife also gave me Africa's Most Dangerous-The Southern Buffalo for Christmas. Very informative read and photos of some awesome buffalo. I have Boddington's DVD Buffalo, and liked it, though at 3 hours, I thought it a bit long. Boddington is a chatty fellow.
I have yet to go to Africa, and Buffalo won't happen on my first trip. But I think between Robertson's book and Boddington's DVD, there is an amazing amount of information to soak up. If a guy wasn't already itchy to go, well, these two items just make it worse! Smiler

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
At the DSC, Steve and I attended Doctari's seminar (which is an audio/visual presentation of the book). I then bought the book and Kevin dedicated and signed books for those who were interested. He is very critical of the SCI scoring system on Cape Buffalo and in the seminar his passion for buffalo hunting really comes out.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
On saturday the 20th, I got to meet and visit with Dr. Kevin Robertson at the HSC. It was truely a privaledge to get to do so and I enjoyed my time talking with him.

Bought his book, and I just finished reading it. His back ground as a veterinarian and a PH both add to the wealth of knoledge to be found in his newsest work. His understanding of ballistics, rifles, and bullet performance and proper placement, are first rate. This is a must read for those who are planning on going after mbogo.(and those dreaming of doing so).

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an outstanding book. I have read many books on hunting and Africa, and Doctari's book is right at the top.

In addition to shot placement from just about every angle possible, it has great information on judging the age of the buffalo from the horns and boss, calibers and bullets, and animal behavior.

Regarding his dislike of the SCI scoring system, you get a definite appreciation of his reasons from his discussions on judging age from the horns and boss. In a nutshell, the SCI system favors young bulls still in the herd with soft bosses.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
By the way, Robertson also has some firm beliefs about twist rate which could fuel that thread (is it still around?) for another thousand posts.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Question:

How does it differ from / compare to the African-Hunter (MagSet Publications) offering, "NYATI" also by Doctari?

Thanks, and did / do these books contain the info on twist rates, 350-grain in .375's and so on? The Accurate Rifle article I printed out from the net a couple years ago, loaned to my dad-in-law, has gone missing.

BNagel

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BNagel:
Question:

How does it differ from / compare to the African-Hunter (MagSet Publications) offering, "NYATI" also by Doctari?

Thanks, and did / do these books contain the info on twist rates, 350-grain in .375's and so on? The Accurate Rifle article I printed out from the net a couple years ago, loane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant wait to read the book a friend of mine buyed it for me in Reno and will bring it soon clap thumb Cool

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Wink?

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Wink?

BNagel, I keep trying to post on this but get cut off with the internet connection here in Nairobi. I'll try again: Robertson feels the 1 in 12 twist is ideal for the 350 and 380 grain bullets, but says it is too much for the 300 grainer.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Cool, Nairobi Wink!

Spent my senior year at Kijabe.

Yeah, I remember the opine. And, it had something (along with the 2400 fps thing, which I "obey" per PH's concurrence with Dr. Mauritz Coetzee) to do with how the skin gets punched through better -- spin being somehow ideal, speaking only of the .375 caliber. Mine is a .375 WeM.

Guess I follow the on-the-ground experience of locals as opposed to physics discussions (which my mind cannot honestly follow / recount accurately after very minutes have passed). Not qualified to dispute either way, I'm afraid.

Wish I could find the article. 85 to 100 bucks for a book right now is moot -- fixing AC at home and paying deductible for a wreck. Never a ticket until I turned 50 -- :-)

Barry

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
85 to 100 bucks for a book right now is moot --Barry

Barry, I believe the "trade" edition from Safari Press is 39.95. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Bill. Thanks -- will look for it.

Barry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I bought and just finished reading "Africa's Most Dangerous" by Kevin Robertson.

I have read Craig Boddington's book and a host of other books that border on "how to" to just being stories of various buffalo hunts.
This book is excellent and in keeping with the great offerings from Safari Press and Rowland and Ward.

I appreciate the simplicity that Robertson uses in conveying the basics of buffalo hunting to the reader. I especially enjoyed his discussion on bullet types, calibers and rifle types. He includes numerous pictures of bullets, cutaway pictures and "after the kill" bullets. He dissects the various bullet types that same way he dissects the buff in the "shot placement" section. I have his Perfect Shot book and the Perfect Shot DVD. Both are outstanding, but he adds a great deal of depth to the subject in being very specific on all of the types of shots that could be taken on buffalo. He describes successes and failures and taught me that the left away quartering shot is not the one to ever take. Read the book to see why.

It is extensively illustrated with his skeleton drawings as well as a host of great pictures of buffalo.

One great addition to this book (and heavily discussed in Craig Boddington's - Boddington on Buffalo II dvd) are his thoughts on what constitutes a trophy buffalo. He is adament about leaving the soft boss, wide spread bulls alone to grow up and pass on great genes. He also is strongly advocating a change in the SCI system of scoring buffalo to something more along the lines of Rowland and Ward. I agree with him.

I really enjoy Doctari's writing, his style and approach. He writes for the notice to understand but to a depth where the experienced hunter will get a lot out of the book.

If you ever think you will hunt buffalo, buy and read this book along with Perfect Shot. Buy the Perfect Shot dvd and both of the Boddington dvd's on buffalo hunting. Not taking away from Boddington's book on the same subject, I just like Robertson's book better.

On a dogcat scale, this book is a 10 out of 10 and on the must read of any new to Africa buffalo hunter....

Posts: 10192 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe it to be one of the best books on hunting the Cape Buffalo ever written.

+1

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it "better" than or a worthy successor to "The Perfect Shot"?

Rich
DRSS
I have slain the mighty Cape Buffalo, but do not think once is enough...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote