New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite authors
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm still a Jack O'Connor fan. I enjoy Boddington too. For comedy, Gene Hill.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Africa, my favorite is Robert Ruark. I wish he had lived longer. A real shame that alcoholism killed him at such a relatively young age (49).

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark was as good or better writer than Hemmingway ever was.Its ashame for such an awesome person to drink thereself to death.I think he drank away his wife then drank his self to death afterwards.I sell more Robert Ruark books than all Authors put together.Elmer Keith books are the ones that increased in value the most.I cant give away jack oconner books.Oconner charged to have his books signed at shows.Elmer keith was way ahead of his time.He made range finders for scopes in the 1930s and helped invent the model 70,44 mag ,41 mag ,Keith style bullets and many other things used in hunting.I have some of his original letters and yes he couldnt spell good and they typewriter sucked but his books and articles are awesome.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
poletax
I heartily agree with you about Stephen Hunter's novels. I actually rarely read novels, however, like you I some how came across a paperback copy of "Point of Impact", and since then I have acquired every first edition hard cover of every volume that has to do with "Bob the Nailer" or his father Earl. I have one which is signed by the author, but right now I disremember which one. Several years ago I was browsing in a small gun shop some where in WY, when I noticed a first edition hardcover copy of "The Master Sniper" complete with dust cover in quite nice condition, mixed in with old Gun Digests and such, for the princely sum of $5.00 (US)! Needless to say, this volume accompanied me home, and now is a proud addition to my collection! I really enjoy Hunter's novels, and like you what first caught my attention, was that he either knew something about guns, or had a good advisor who did! Regards. GT

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though not always easy to obtain H C Maydon's books paticularly on Africa are the best books on hunting I have ever read. He was the inspiration for James Mellon.
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Poletax,
The first Stephen Hunter book I read was "Dirty White Boys", then I read the entire series on Bob "The Nailer" he is a helluva writer, very easy to get involved in his stories.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Old Man and The Boy by Ruark is my favorite bird hunting and growing up book.I could kick my butt for selling my African Dust jack copy of the Boy Grows older.I am looking for Another one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like O'Conner, even though he has been reported to be less personable than Keith, because of his writing style that could put you on the hunt. I don't think anyone past or present could tell a story in such vivid terms as O'Conner. Boddington is always a good read and a bonified "rifle looney" with lots of technical expertise and field experience few can match. Wayne van Zwoll is another very good and practical writer/hunter who's also a very nice gentleman in person (met him at an NRA convention). I've have just come to appreciate Mr. Keith for his expertise; for I've always considered him an expert on pistols, but too "over-the-top" on big bore rifles. However, the older I get the more he makes sense and the more I can appreciate his "experienced" views. I also like Barsness because he is a rifle looney and gives a good report on reloads not unlike Clay Harvey. I heard that Clay Harvey past away, does anyone have any info on this? He was a good writer with a sense of humor (not everyone appreciated) who got out of the gun writing business when he was just becoming popular. Rick Jamison gives a good technical report and Layne Simpson used to be a good read until he started to believe his own invinsibility as a rifleman. I tend to enjoy the older writers like Taylor, Whelen, Waters, Aagaard, Hill, etc., etc., etc., while noticing most new writers don't seem to do as much research or have the experience to draw on. I read every article I can get my hands on and agree with most that only a handful write truely great "copy" month after month. I am pretty amazed at the intelligent information on this forum, as well. Still, it's an interest that beats the heck out of most other hobbies and defines fun for me. Just my opinion - Riley

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
BFaucett,
I just finished reading Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter". Probably the best African hunting related book I have read since "Death in the Long Grass". I literally could not put the book down. I read it through in a few hours. He had a very captivating writing style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My #1 all-time favorite author hands down is Elmer Keith of course, he forgot more then nearly anyone else has ever known about our sport and shooting.

John Taylor is my #2 favorite, though nearly a tie in reality.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor was a friend of Elmer Keith who wrote him alot.His book African Rifles And Cartridges is written very closely to Keiths Keith's Rifles for Large Game.They both knew alot about big double rifles.Taylor had about more good info on elephant hunting that any one ever due to killing so many of them.I got to meet Craig Boddington he is about as nice as a famous guy could get.He very down to earth hopefully he keeps writing a while.Elmer Keith was one of a kind.I learned alot growing up on Gun Notes in Guns and Ammo.I finally got one of his books Shotguns then got all the rest of them.I learned alot from those books about hunting and guns.