THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Memories of an African Hunter by Denis D. Lyell

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memories of an African Hunter by Denis D. Lyell
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another in the Capstick collection of reprints by St. Martin's Press. This is a collection of stories and anecdotes by Denis Lyell on his years in Africa in the 1903 to 1920 era. Lyell is your consumate English sportsman and adventurer. He has written several other books, all good and easy reading. He crossed paths with Selous, Roosevelt, Stigand and Millais - all authors and adventurers.

He writes in the typical, unassuming British manner - "jolly good, got my arm chewed on by a lion, but brushed it off as a flesh wound" - and style.

Capstick writes a great intro in the book and seems truly enthralled with Lyell - almost hero worship in his praise. I like Lyell as well and this is a great "period" book full of the thoughts and ideas of the day about guns, game and ethics. He ends the book with a short discourse on his view of the future of African game and predicts its demise if "sportsmen" do not rise up and help control the slaughter. I cannot criticize him, but he was part of the slaughter with statements like - "I never hunted rhino for profit as I only took a few, however, I hunt elephants for money because I may as well do it because so many others are as well".

For serious students of Africana history and hunting history, this is a good book for you. I rate it a 7 on a 10 scale - not some much for content but for style and easy of reading. Enjoyable but there are 20 other books I would recommend ahead of this one.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good reading, and as usual, Capstick does a fine job. coffee

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote