THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Winds of Havoc - Andelino Pires and Fiona Capstick

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winds of Havoc - Andelino Pires and Fiona Capstick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
St. Martins Press, 2001

Adelino Serras Pires was one of Africa's greatest PH's and hunting outfitters. His family moved from Portugal to Mozambique in the early 1900's and he began PH'ing as soon as he could after school. He became director of one of Africa's most respected outfitters, Safarique, before he was 30. His clients included American Astronauts, Movie Stars, Athletes, European Royalty and heads of State, Sheiks, and African Royalty.

When Mozambique fell into bloody civil war, Pires fought during the bush wars on his own, not for one side or the other. He finally left Moz for Angola just when the war in Angola began to escalate. Then to Rhodesia, again, civil war. On to the Congo, Sudan, and various other countries only to have war and uprising follow or ruthless dictators destroy the safari industry in the country he was operating. Finally, due to obscene paranoia by the ruling Frelimo party in Mozambique, Pires was kidnapped in Tanzania, along with his sons, and extradicted back to Mozambique. He was tortured for weeks on end trying to uncover a plot to overthrow the Frelimo single party government. This after decades since he had left Mozambique.

There's even mention of Bill Quimby in the book, as he had booked with Pires to be one of Pires' first clients hunting elephant in the Congo but was unable to follow through because the dictator closed hunting almost on the eve of the hunt.

This book on a pioneering hunting outfitter, bush war veteran, and stern individualist is a fantastic read. I read the book in two days, it was that hard to put down. A great read about Pires, hunting, and African turmoil.

Highly recommended.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Just started it today and looking forward to it. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"There's even mention of Bill Quimby in the book, as he had booked with Pires to be one of Pires' first clients hunting elephant in the Congo but was unable to follow through because the dictator closed hunting almost on the eve of the hunt."

I was packed, had taken all the necessary shots, and was ready to leave the following morning when I got a telegram from the hunting company's rep in Brussels saying Zaire had been closed to hunting.

It wasn't until 1994-1995, I think, that I finally met Adelino for the first time. He is a true gentleman, a legend in the African hunting industry, and I am proud that I can call him and his wife Fiona my friends.

Read their "Winds of Havoc" if you've ever wondered what happens when African countries gain "independence"

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I was packed, had taken all the necessary shots, and was ready to leave the following morning when I got a telegram from the hunting company's rep in Brussels saying Zaire had been closed to hunting.

It wasn't until 1994-1995, I think, that I finally met Adelino for the first time. He is a true gentleman, a legend in the African hunting industry, and I am proud that I can call him and his wife Fiona my friends.

Read their "Winds of Havoc" if you've ever wondered what happens when African countries gain "independence"

Bill Quimby

Bill,
That must have been a bitter pill to swallow, I know the feeling of anticipation and excitement as the hunt draws near. A depressing let-down for sure. Pires mentioned, after that episode, he was terrified that he might be black listed as a much too high risk-taker for the American clientele. It appears you handled the situation quite well with a great deal of composure and Pires was no worse in reputation because of it. That says a lot about you as a person, which is very good. I can appreciate your reserve through the disappointment a great deal.

It is also nice to hear commentary about some of the authors from fellows that have personal knowledge, as there seems to be way too much speculation on a man's character through the internet these days.

Thanks for responding to this topic.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
That cancelled hunt in Zaire (it was in 1983, I think) was to have been my first African safari. I'd bought two boxes of .460 Weatherby ammo (solids for the elephant, softs for the bongo) and all types of gear I later found I didn't need.

I still have the ammo somewhere.

When C.J. McElroy learned Zaire wasn't opening, he arranged a hunt for me in Zimbabwe's Matetsi with legendary S.E. Fanie Pretorius (a wonderful guy) two months later, and I shot my first buffalo, kudu and sable.

It was like eating a potato chip. One trip to Africa wasn't enough. I keep going back and back.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My, oh my, elephant and bongo, what a great hunt that could have been...

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"My, oh my, elephant and bongo, what a great hunt that would have been."

DPhillips:

Especially on what would have been my first hunt in Africa. Years later, Adelino told me the elephant he'd found for me had 100-pound-plus tusks. I've seen hundreds of free-ranging elephants in
Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana since then, but I have not been fortunate to hunt one. As for bongo, I've never been where they are.

Bill Quimby