Find
Notify
Tools

Inscribed books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I would be interested to hear who has or collects hunting (& related) books that have been inscribed or signed by the author.

I have a few in my collection which currently consists only of works by contemporary authors;

"A Life on Safari" by Geoff Broom.

"Memoirs of an African Hunter" by Terry Irwin.

"Africa's Most Dangerous" by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson.

"The Adventures of Shadrek" by Ron Thomson.

"Heart of an African Hunter" & "Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa" by Peter Flack.

If anyone else here has an interest in inscribed books, please share.

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mrs Shakari often buys me signed first editions for Christmas & birthdays etc, so over the years I've ended up with quite a selection.

Just the ones that spring to mind are:

In The Salt by Lou Hallamore

Chui by Lou Hallamore

Elephants for Africa by Randall Moore

All the Ron Thomson books

African Elephants by Kunkel

Big Bore Cartridges by Pierre van de Walt

plus a shit load more that I can't think of for the moment......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last Ivory hunter by Peter Capstick
History of Archery by Fred Bear
Come November by Barry and Gene Wensel
Become the arrow by Byron Ferguson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Sailor to Professional Hunter / Northcote
Bwana Cotton /Cotton Gordon
Mt Kenya to the Cape /Boddington
Where Lions Roar /Boddington
Hunting American Bears /Hibben
Hunting American Lions /Hibben
When the Dogs Bark Treed /Elliott Barker
Beatty's Cabin /Elliott Barker
Hunters of Man /John Brandt

Juckett

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Country Boy in Africa/ George Hoffman

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Inscribed vs. signed. To my knowledge if you are acquiring a book with an eye towards its retained value in future you do not want it inscribed.
Signature only, or a personal comment by the author not directed to you.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
To me, although I do own a few signed by the author, it is imaterial whether it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd edition, just to obtain a copy is an accomplishment. With price and scarcity of some books even 10th edition is good enough for me. The content is still the same.

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billin the Wind,
You are absolutely correct, person inscriptions reduce the price, unless it's someone like famous, ie Roosevelt, but other than that, general statements are best.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all of Elmer Keith's books inscribed, including Safari. All while sitting in his living room and visiting with him. As well, Craig's, and a few others. I have a set by Richard Harland somewhere between his house and SCI Reno I hope.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I have all of Elmer Keith's books inscribed, including Safari. All while sitting in his living room and visiting with him. As well, Craig's, and a few others. I have a set by Richard Harland somewhere between his house and SCI Reno I hope.

Rich

You will enjoy Harland's work. Excellent writing from a man who knows from what he speaks. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been building a very, very modest 'library'. I look for books that are first edition and signed when possible. I have most of Capstick's and am currently looking for mountain hunting/sheep type of books.
It's funny, I tell myself what a great investment they are when I know I'll never sell any of them. May lend one out but I'd never sell one. Sort of like my rifles...
I just hope that whoever they get bequethed to won't just pawn them or ebay them.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote