New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mongolia Hunter by Patrick Steward
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Published by Shikar Publishing 1986, Limited Edition.

I came across this book a while back and purchased it on whim. Only after receiving it did I realize that Mr. Steward was from Anchorage, Alaska. This book tells the stories of his and Leo Walsh's two trips in 1983 and 1984 to Mongolia to hunt for Altai Argali, Gobi Argali, Altai Ibex and various other animals. Those that have been to the Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage have surely seen the large Mongolian animal donation by Leo Walsh, there. Leo did make at least one additional trip to Mongolia after these, but the animals could be from the 1983 trip in this book.

I began reading this book shortly after reading a couple books from Weatherby award winners. I must say I was growing tired of all the focus on collecting instead of hunting and all the chest beating or blaming someone else when things went bad. This book was an absolute pleasure to read, one that was hard to put down from the time it was started.

Steward has a very likeable writing style, one that should appeal to everyone, not meant to try impress or bluster, but reach the reader on a very common level that every hunter speaks. At least, I think every hunter should speak, the love of the hunt...

Steward also educates and informs as well as entertains. He gives a rollicking ride through Mongolian history right up to the (then) present day socio-political landscape. He also takes time to explain, briefly, the geography, geology and climate of the region.

From then on, it's great read in typical Alaskan style of his and Leo's trials, tribulations and triumphs from dealing the Reds red-tape to hunting the grandest sheep on earth and returning home.

A fantastic book on sheep hunting, travel through Russia and Mongolia when tensions were at their highest (one hunt was conducted just a week or so after the Russians shot down the Korean airliner in 1983).

Highly recommended.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote