THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Team of Rivals (a unique look at Lincoln)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is not a hunting related book, but figured that a few of the more studious types on AR may have seen this book or read it.

It is a fascinating look at the Lincoln administration during the American Civil War. It centers on the rivalries of the leaders of the day - Salmon Chase, Edwin Stanton, Seward (the guy that bought Alaska from the Russians), Gideon Wells, Bates and Blair. It is a long and detailed book about the political machinations during a time of incredible national stress coupled with the egos of the various men, who all thought they should be president instead of Lincoln. I cannot adequately describe the level of respect I have gained for Lincoln while reading this book. I am a bit of a student of American history with a focus on the Civil War era and this is an excellent book. My other favorites have been by Shelby Foote and Shaara.

This is a good book, get it if you are a serious Civil War buff.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The civil war novels co-authored by Newt Gingrich are very good, surprisingly good. They take a twist on the historical events and spin out the story of how things might have played out differently. Good reads.

Mike

Posts: 21242 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Rivals" is a truly outstanding book. I can't recommend it highly enough if you have any interest in the Civil War in particular or in the history of the United States generally. It's the only thing I've read by the author but I intend to look at some of her other works. Puts current politics into perspective I think.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote