New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great NEW kids outdoor magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen several post about folks looking for a good book or magazine that will help introduce youngsters to the outdoors so to help I am posting a review I did recently. The Editor of the Kids Club magazine is an outdoorsman and educator from Ohio. Check it out at the website I dont think you can go wrong with this one. There are several good books also available which can be found on Amazon but once read the thrill is over for the kids the magazine however will provide a continuing every other month stimulus.

Merry Christmas

Pa Griz

Something Special for the Kids

“When you begin to question why you hunt…you need only look into the eyes of a youngster who just saw their first deer or turkey for the answer.”

Today there is a massive amount of anti-hunting rhetoric being directed toward our children about the sport of hunting, they hear it in school, from teachers see it on television and at times from their friends. How can we combat it with our children especially the young ones who are too little to yet accompany us into the field?

The good news is several authors who when faced with this same problem have written books that introduce children to the outdoors in a manner they love…reading or being read to.

I wrote the above as a prelude to a review I had done on several books geared toward introducing children to the wonders of the outdoors. Although all of the books I reviewed had been good collectively they had one shortfall…Once read the thrill for the youngster was over. Being a parent having raised two kids of my own and now a grandparent of three I am well aware that children have inquiring minds that need fed constantly and short attention spans. Get a child involved in something they enjoy and can interact with and you have accomplished half of the learning process
That is exactly what the Outdoor Kids Club magazine has accomplished.
This magazine is formatted throughout its pages for children with large glossy pages, easy to read print, games and colorful eye catching photography.

Some of the outdoor educational articles that impressed me immediately were:
Getting Close to Turkeys
Shed Antler Hunting…Family Fun
Groundblinds for Groundhogs
Each of the articles contained step by step instructions and were illustrated with beautiful full color photography. At the end of these articles there were activity projects geared toward the kids such as building a paper cup turkey call, setting up a blind and even making your own minnow seine.
I intend on donating a year’s subscription for the Outdoor Kids Club magazine to my local library in the hope that after seeing it they will make it a regular part of their children’s library.
I also highly recommend the magazine as a gift and most certainly for anyone who has small children they want to get interested in the outdoors.

Come to think of it Outdoor Kids Club would also make a wonderful and reasonably priced gift for Sportsman’s clubs to donate in their clubs name as a public relations gesture to local schools and public libraries in their area.
As sportsmen I believe we need to support endeavors such as this publication which help promote an interest in the outdoors for our children.

The magazine may be ordered at their web site at www.outdoorkidsclub.com or by sending $15.00 for a years subscription of six issues to Outdoor Kids Club Magazine P.O. Box 35, Greensville, OH 45331.

I may have to grow old, but I refuse to grow up

Posts: 169 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote