Find
Notify
Tools

Another Baker classic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Gang, I've read Sir Samuel Baker's "Wild Beasts and Their Ways," and "With Rifle and Hound in Ceylon," but his "The Nile Tributaries of Abyssinia" is the best one yet. Bakers' voice remains fresh 150 years after he and his wife set out by camel and horse to find the sources of the Nile. His description of how the Hamran Arabs hunted elephant with swords is not to be missed! It is a vanished world and it all comes to life in rich detail.
A GREAT STOCKING STUFFER!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've early copies of "Wild Beasts" and "Rifle and Hound" that I plan to sell soon, and enjoyed reading both. Haven't come across "The Nile Tributaries of Abyssinia," but will watch for it. Thanks.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon,

are these current offerings?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I read "Nile" and found it fascinating. He is an excellent writer and his description of taking elephants by hamstringing them with swords was breath taking.

Great read for the serious Africa history student.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote