New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best lion book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im trying to start my books of africa collection, or at least make it bigger. What is the best African Lion book, preferrable a hunting aspect.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like "The Book Of The Lion" by Sir Alfred Pease.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
No collection would be complete without Patterson's book on the lions of Tsavo.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CAT! published by Amwell Press. Compilation of the large game feline hunts by folks like Frederick Selous, Teddy Roosevelt, Zane Grey, Jim Corbett, Grancel Fritz, Ted Trueblood, Jack O'Connor, Col. J.H. Patterson, Bob Brister, Warren Page, and many, many others. All told 52 hunting tales by world reknowned hunters and writers. Compiled by Robert Kuhn and Jim Rihkof.

618 pages worth of CAT hunting tales.

Also, another Rikhoff book from Amwell Press, "Hunting the African Lion". Both are very good, out of print, hard to find and on the spendy side.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
For informative natural history text and great art, I can recommend two:

"Cats of Africa" by Anthony Hall with art by Paul Bosman, and artist Guy Coheleach's self-published book on man-eating lions. (I have a copy, but can't find it and have forgotten the title.)

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with fla3006!

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Peter Capstick's Death In The Long Grass has some sensational stuff about man-eating lions, and most (if not all) of it is true.

Bill Quimby