New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilderness Journals by Jack Ward Thomas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked this up on the internet. It is published by Boone and Crockett (part of the 3 book set). This book is a collection of journals written by Jack Ward Thomas, the former director of the USFWS and the US Forest Service. Thomas is a passionate "wilderness" guy that worked his career as a wildlife biologist trying to come to terms with how to preserve wilderness yet at the same time, make it accessable to the people who want to use it and who are paying for it. The book is a collection of his journals as he was camping in the various wilderness areas he was passionate about protecting.

The B&C folks felt this collection of essays represent to best current thinking on wilderness preservation and use and offers insights into how the leaders of these efforts actually think and approach their work. It is a good book, well written and well edited. It got a bit laborious at times due to the repetitive trips to the same areas and his thoughts on the areas.

Overall I would rate it a 7 and worth reading if you are looking for something different from "I shot, I killed" type of books.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote