Find
Notify
Tools

Old SCI Record Book
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I just returned from Albuquerque, and while there I purchased at an estate sale an old SCI Record Book. It is a 1980 edition, bound and numbered 101 of 2000. The inside cover is signed by Capt. John H. Brandt associate editor. It is also signed "To my friend, prof. John Martin Cambell". It was laying on a table,no one was interested. I bought it for very little. Does anyone know a history of Cambell or Brandt? It covers record book trophies around the world. It is quite a handsome book.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bill Quimby might well know. He will be on the site in the next few days, I would think.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Cessna:

John Brandt, as you said, was an associate editor of SCI's second record book. John is a friend, and also a fellow recipient of the Peter Hathaway Capstick International Literary Award.

His professional background includes a long tour in Southeast Asia as a medical officer before the USA got into the war in Vietnam. He did a lot of big game hunting while there, taking many unusual species such as guar, banteng and various Asian deer.

He has written several books, including "Asian Hunter" and "Hunters of Man."

John told me that he and Jack Schwabland (then a Seattle lumber broker and, like Brandt, a self-taught naturalist) were shocked at the errors of taxonomy they found in the first SCI record book and went to SCI founder C.J. McElroy and volunteered to work on the second edition.

John now lives on a ranch near the Colorado/New Mexico border. If you would like to correspond with him, I can put you in touch with him.

Don't know anything about John Martin Campbell.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill: A google search turned up Cambell as a prof. emeritus at UNM in anthropology. He was director after Dr. Frank Hibben. There is also another signature with Brant's, but I can't make it out. If you get a chance you might PM me with contact information for John. I have most all of Hibbens books. The old SCI record book now has a spot on my library's record book shelf. It's a shame folks don't read like they used to. I've been collecting books on hunting for about 40 years now. When I'm gone at least there will be a collection of good writing about the adventure of big game hunting. I appreciate your response about the SCI book. It truly is a handsome book.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
PM on its way.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bill and Cessna. If "Cessna" implies what I think it might, pick me up on the way and I'll keep the right seat warm. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote