Find
Notify
Tools

Gods of War
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
An interesting book written by an ubersturmfuhrer (lieutenant) of the Das Reich division (SS). It is his memories of WWII, serving in both France and Russia. He was wounded at least 6 times and eventually lost his left leg up to the hip. Very introspective view of the war (and war in general) from the loser's side. Would be very instructive for all the arm-chair folk who think they know just how they will survive when TSHTF.

Would be hard not to benefit from reading his perspective and experiences. He describes combat and survival both during and afterward as it really is in every war.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting Albert.Did you read Col. Cooper's book, "To Ride,Shoot Straight + Speak The Truth"? There is a short story in there called "Survivor".Similar theme. I won't elaborate except to say that it is one fine story + heavily doubt that I could have stood his trials+ tribulations. I recommend this highly.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I read and still have a signed copy of Col. Cooper's book. Coincidentaly, my best friend in Oregon, until my friend's death, was also a close friend of Col. Cooper. My friend, Chuck Karwan, was a captain commanding a company of special forces in the "Nam",and spent at least a couple of tours there. (I don't remember how long exctly he was in-country.) He died of side-effects of heart surgery in a VA Medical Centre.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
AC, some information on the book please, author, title, publisher and ISBN [if available.] Thanks

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert,sorry for the demise of your friend. I also have several signed copies of different books by the Col.+ then readers as well.I know one can do both but I prefer to keep the signed 1st ed. in pristine condition.Be that as it may I agree with Scriptus that an ISBN would be more than helpful. Thanks.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pulled up "Gods of War" @ Amazon by John Toland. Is the book that you are in reference? BTW if this is the book,interest is large but collector value seems small as a 1985 1st editions,signed starts @ $38,00.Mox Nix as to collector if it is a good read.This is listed as a novel(understandably);is this the book?

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Have a look here. At the bottom of the page there are some more. "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer is also a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Ed...0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Pulled up "Gods of War" @ Amazon by John Toland. Is the book that you are in reference? BTW if this is the book,interest is large but collector value seems small as a 1985 1st editions,signed starts @ $38,00.Mox Nix as to collector if it is a good read.This is listed as a novel(understandably);is this the book?

No, that is not the book. This one is written by Hans Werner Woltersdorf.

ISBN 0-89141-402-9