Find
Notify
Tools

Capstick re visited
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Just finishd Capstick's Death In A Lonely Land.
The man was a wordsmith, and although I had read many of his books in the past, this one brought back not only fond memories of his work, but was a great read. What was not expected was his piece on Biltong, which I make regularly, and as he states, it is to be "savored." He did it all! One caution......reading his work will make you want to pack your hunting gear and head for the bush..... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Death in a Lonley Land was the first Capstick book I read. It really got me hooked on his work. The chapter on biltong was great. I made my first biltong with the help of PHC.

What about the gunpowder cocktails? Have you tried those?

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
i think that if you got one of those gunpowder cocktails , you could probably tear a elephant bull with 150 pounds tusks in half, after that shot of special scotch.....

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I ever read of his was an article in "Guns+Ammo" mag. on shooting rats off a dock with a pellet rifle,written in a very Bwanadick style.This was sometime back in the 70's I believe.I remember thinking to myself at the time,"who is this clown?"However after becoming familiar with his other writings,I realized the tounge-in-cheek.Since then I've managed to collect all of his works + still enjoy them.I especially liked "Warrior".Along tht line,has anyone else seen the movie "The Lighthorsemen"?There is one of the characters portraying Meinertzhagen.It's about the Australian Light Horse in WW1 carrying out the invasion of Palistine.The last full Cavalry charge at the end of the movie is,in itself,worth the cost of the movie.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I especially liked "Warrior"."

NormanConquest:

"Warrior" is a great book, but it is no secret that more than half of it was written by PHC's widow, Fiona, after his death.

Fiona is a talented author and a fine person, and I highly recommend her "Winds of Havoc," written with her new husband, Adelino Serras Peres, if you want to learn how badly "newly independent" African nations have treated their white citizens.

Anyone who wants to know the considerable history of women in big game hunting also will want her "The Diana Files."

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I purchased and read "WInds of Havoc" this year and did enjoy it. While having nothing to do with the content, I am dissappointed in the book binding as mine is falling apart after only one reading.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
There was a article by Adelino in SOF a few years ago, and that was tough to read, no wonder that theyre trusted when they treat a man that way. I hope that fiona will write a book about Peter one day, the hunting world would very like that after a man that wrote a bout the great hunters on such good way.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
this weekend i have read his Death in the lonely land about P:J Pretorius, he was that kind of guy , i wouldnt want as my enemy, thats sure for one thing

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I hope that fiona will write a book about Peter one day, the hunting world would very like that after a man that wrote a bout the great hunters on such good way."

She says she will never write such a book, and is unwilling to work with me or any other biographer on such a book.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretorius's grandson runs a big bean farm near Arusha and was in the hunting business himself for many years. Nice man with photos of some very big Masailand buffalo.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
She says she will never write such a book, and is unwilling to work with me or any other biographer on such a book. Bill Quimby

Bill,

Any idea why that is?

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Rigby,If you liked Capstick's condensed version,I recommend "Jungle Man" by P.J. Pretorius.A lot more of a good thing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
ok, do you know which store has it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Adrook,

Capstick's books are still in print, she likely inherited the estate, and I am sure she has the cash flow to protect.

A good biography could bring that all to a halt.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Dear Adrook, Capstick's books are still in print, she likely inherited the estate, and I am sure she has the cash flow to protect. A good biography could bring that all to a halt."

Hi Ted:

If you knew Fiona well, you would know this would be the last thing in the world to motivate her. PHC was the one great love of her life and she simply is not ready to work with anyone on his biography.

Capstick has been dead a long time, and she has remarried, but she still chokes up when she talks about him.

Numerous "good" biographies have not hurt the marketability of authors such as Hemingway or Ruark. As a matter of fact, I suspect an honest Capstick biography might spur sales of his work.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dear Bill,

Could be?

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Bill did you read about PHC s white angels as he called the dogos dogs ,soon you will meet them and enjoy the hunt of a big boar with one of your Bowens,i believe PHC was one of the greatest hunting writers of all the time ,and i can tell to the critis that they first must guide in the Amazonas ,be a prak ranger in Tanzania ,hunt boars with knife in La Patagonia and them can speak ,i only guide in Argentina and i can say thats not an easy job ,besides doing this hes a good writer so he desrves some respect form armchair hunters .Perhaps some day my friend the great wirter Bill Quimby can put some words in a boigraphy of this true warrior.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan....I did read that piece. I have been slowly adding to my Capstick collection and now have about all of his books, and just need the time to read them. I am hoping to see you soon, but not too sure about the knife - Bowens, mucho mejor....
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Bill did you read about PHC s white angels as he called the dogos dogs ,soon you will meet them and enjoy the hunt of a big boar with one of your Bowens,i believe PHC was one of the greatest hunting writers of all the time ,and i can tell to the critis that they first must guide in the Amazonas ,be a prak ranger in Tanzania ,hunt boars with knife in La Patagonia and them can speak ,i only guide in Argentina and i can say thats not an easy job ,besides doing this hes a good writer so he desrves some respect form armchair hunters .Perhaps some day my friend the great wirter Bill Quimby can put some words in a boigraphy of this true warrior.juan

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Bill i have almost all his books too and i saw all his videos ,in La Patagonia hes remembered and respected ,i contacted Bill Quimby with one of his PH and a good friend of PHC.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan....Bill Quimby sends his regards.....he was helpng me scout for pronghorn last week. I wish he could come with me.....

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Mr.Rigby,If you liked Capstick's condensed version,I recommend "Jungle Man" by P.J. Pretorius.A lot more of a good thing.

I think Jungle Man is a brilliant story. He certainly was one tough nut. Found him to be far more enjoyable than "Winds of Havoc" or "Warrior".

I know they are very different in style and its a matter of personal taste. But Jungle Man got me in. If I had read Capsticks chapter on him in one of his "Death...." series first, I doubt whether I would have enjoyed Pretorious as much.

Capstick knew how to churn outbooks quickly (and sell heaps of them) but his aren't in the same league as many of the old time accounts. Books like Sutherland's. Taylor. Bell. They are very good books to read; I guess I like the old timers books more.

Yet, most of the books Capstick had in his reprint series I found thoroughly enjoyable.

PS. I am NOT canning Capstick. I enjoy his books. There are just others I enjoy more.

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill a huge hog is seeing near a lagoon almost every afternoon im sure it will be a record we will not use the dogos because its very dangerous we will try your guiide gun .JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Dear Bill a huge hog is seeing near a lagoon almost every afternoon im sure it will be a record we will not use the dogos because its very dangerous we will try your guiide gun .JUAN

I am excited to visit your country and meet you and your family. Very soon now.....
clap

Theodore Roosevelt