Find
Notify
Tools

Ted Trublood
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I ran across a book in my den the other night, written by Ted Trueblood. It seemed well written. Does anyone know who or when he wrote for the magazines? It seems to me he wrote for Outdoor Life or Field & Stream.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
From the Idaho State Historical Society, Library & Archives, website:

Cecil Whittaker (Ted) Trueblood:
1913-1982

By Guila Ford and Elizabeth Jacox
Publication Date: January 1996

"Ted Trueblood wrote for over forty years about natural resources and conservation. He was a reporter, an avid conservationist, and outdoor writer. His ability to attract readers from the entire country to explore the natural resources and physical challenges of the West were a unique contribution to the image and economic growth of Idaho, the state he loved. Called “the Dean of Outdoor Writers,†Ted Trueblood was born in Boise, Idaho on June 25, 1913. He grew up on his parents’ farm near Wilder and attended the College of Idaho (now Albertson College of Idaho) for three years. He married Ellen Hinkson in 1939. Together they had two sons. Trueblood moved to New York to pursue a career with Field and Stream in the early 1930's. He served as fishing editor for Field and Stream magazine, and wrote regularly for True. However, he returned to Idaho later in the 1930's after a close friend died of a sudden heart attack. His friend’s death prompted Trueblood to quit his job and return home “determined to hunt, fish, and write about it.†He wrote, “why work hard and save money and then die before I had a chance to enjoy the things for which I had been saving?†Trueblood did write, and published seven books during his life in Idaho. The Angler’s Handbook (1949), The Fishing Handbook (1951), Ted Trueblood on Hunting (1953), The Hunter’s Handbook (1954), How to Catch More Fish (1955), On Hunting (1955), Camping Handbook (1955), and finally, The Ted Trueblood Hunting Treasury in 1978. His books and articles echo his personal philosophy. "

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I'll print your kind response and put it with the book. The book I have is The Hunting Treasury. I've enjoyed your writing through the years Bill, thank you. I got to looking at the books around Truebloods. I'd forgotten I had some of them. I've a few from Bob Householder, Warren Page, Elmer Keith. I just found a first edition from Dr. Frank Hibben. What I enjoy about writings of authors such as yourself, is the hunts were more about the adventure and not so much technical (guns/bullets/equipment). You seem to enjoy the hunt. Again thanks. I need to pick up your new book.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cessna, I recall a True article he wrote about being stranded in the Chamberlain Basin on an elk/mule deer hunt with his wife, a great story and wonderful writing. He was one of my favorites. Enjoy his books, they are great.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
BUCKMT: I did enjoy re-reading the book I have. I'll look around on-line, maybe I can get some of his other writings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
unless there are two with the same name, he developed inoperable cancer and stuck a loaded shotgun in his mouth about 1982. Sad ending to a great life, but a lot of great authors deal with age and illness and infirmity that way. I guess only you can determine when the quality of your life had deteriorated beyond the saving point...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote