New
Find
Notify
Tools

H. Rider Haggard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While recently antique shopping with my wife;in a back corner I found a 6 volume set of H. Rider Haggard's,Allen Quatermain chronicles.Not 1st edition,but reprinted circa 1921.Titles are as follows:Allen Quatermain,Child Of Storm,Allen + The Holy Flower,Marie,Finished,+ The Ancient Allan.I'd never given it much thought,growing up with "King Solomon's Mines" that there were more adventures in series.Is anyone aware if this a complete set,+ if not,what is lacking?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4249 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Two suggestions - Google it - run the info through ALIBRIS.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"King Solomon's Mines" was always a favorite of mine; I've wanted to hunt giraffe ever since.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished King Solomon's Mines, as well as She, and Ayesha, the Return of She. Also Allan Quatermain. Will have to search for the others mentioned above. Great stuff, what I've read so far.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
For a real treat try to find a copy of King Solomon's Mines in DVD; the original one with Stewart Granger. clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I watched "King Solomon's Mines" with Stewart Granger again on TV last month while I was in Australia. It's still a good movie. I wish they still made them like that.

Incidentally, Bill, I own a 150-acre piece of Granger's old Yerba Buena Ranch on the border near Nogales, Arizona. I bought it though the federal bankruptcy court way back when all the savings and loans were going belly up. The gazebo he built for Jeanne Simmons, his wife, on a hill overlooking the Santa Cruz River is about 100 yards outside the southeast corner of my property.

You may remember Niles Thimm, the previous owner. A judge ordered that he produce a video titled "How I Stole $9,000,000 From My Clients" and sent him to jail on weekends and holidays for the next couple of years.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote