Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hunting Book Authors as Writers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
The thread on Kambaku got me thinking, who are the best writers that wrote/write books on hunting in Africa, India, etc. I am focused less on subject matter and more on the ability of the author to actually write an engaging book. To start I would offer up the start of a Top Ten list:

Pondoro Taylor
Jim Corbett
Harry Manners
Fred Everett
Richard Harland
Ron Thomson
T.V. Bulpin
Sten Cedergren
Peter Capstick
Kenneth Anderson

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several I think were good writers:
Ian Nyschens
Bunny Allen
John Hunter
Terry Irwin

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
All good adds. Ian's first book was awesome, the most recent one (that his daughter helped finish) was disappointing.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well,although not his main business,Ruark had his moments as well as Hemingway.Mike I guess this strikes me as a great idea. As to my two suggestions,if you are wanting truth + not just good stories;I would recommend in the former "Horn Of The Hunter"
+ in the latter "The Green Hills Of Africa". Lest we forget...W.D.M. Bell in "Karamojo Safari".Just my 3 cents.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why would anyone have capstick before ruark or hemingway he was great telling stories about someone else and taking credit doe what they did not bad I guess for a bartender

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a fun thread. I haven't heard of half of these authors. I'm going to try most of them. Thanks for the posts. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Mike, try ,Nikolai Bajkov Big game hunting in Manchuria
Interesting as in one episode his partner gets eaten by tiger and in another, they encounter Black Plague Hitting logging and mining camps in Manchuria in 1908

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Another good one though not strictly hunting is "Jungle Man" ,the story of P.J. Praetorious. GREAT book.Should be able to find it on Amazon.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will have to check out Bajkov. Another good writer, only wrote one book that I know of, is Nick Tredger, From Rhodesia to Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Turgenev

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hats off to Safari Press. Without them many of these stories would have been lost to time.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith Safari book is awesome it is just hard to find !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote