New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falcons Of France
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a great book + a great reminiscence of my childhood.American Flyers in WW1 in the Lafayette Escadrille. Brought to you by Nordhoff + Hall,the 2 lads who wrote "Mutiny on the Bounty".Required reading in my opinion but definately recommended.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looking it up!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in NY we have the Rhinebeck Aerodrome where the have a fascinating Working !! collection of WWI planes .They put on a show each weekend about 6 months of the year. All the reading you do suddenly comes alive as you see these complex, fragile bits of fabric and wood take to the air !

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My first flights weren't in a plane built of "fragile bits of fabric and wood," but it was close.

One my jobs in high school in the early 1950s was to load and flag for a cropduster in Yuma, Arizona. His plane was a Stearman biplane, and I donned goggles and a respirator and rode in its hopper to the various fields that he dusted.

Most of the stuff he spread over the fields was the now-banned DDT. It was used on everything in those days, including every "mojado" (wetback laborer) the border patrol detained.

I probably breathed and ingested through contact enough of that pesticide to kill every bug in two states.

At any rate, Woody (the pilot) was a crazy guy. Every morning, he would take off and spin the wheels of his Stearman on the roof of a little cafe where an especially busty waitress worked.

His license was suspended briefly for flying under the bridge across the Colorado River.

He did not die in a plane crash, though. He froze to death while hunting elk in the early 1970s, when Arizona's high country was hit by a huge snow and ice storm.

They found his body the next spring under a juniper tree. There were burned matchbooks where he had tried to start a fire.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My first flights weren't in a plane built of "fragile bits of fabric and wood," but it was close.

One my jobs in high school in the early 1950s was to load and flag for a cropduster in Yuma, Arizona. His plane was a Stearman biplane, and I donned goggles and a respirator and rode in its hopper to the various fields that he dusted.

Most of the stuff he spread over the fields was the now-banned DDT. It was used on everything in those days, including all "mojados" (wetback laborers) the border patrol detained.

I probably breathed and ingested through contact with enough of that pesticide to kill every insect in two states.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Amazon. For those who have'nt read it,I envy you your first reading.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote