New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling Books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't generally watch movies when I travel; I generally read books. I also tend to pick themes consistent with where I'm going and what I'm doing.

So, for my next trip, I have a series of books related to German East Africa up to and through WWI both about and written by Col. Von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Two good ones are An Ice-Cream War by Boyd and My Life by Lettow-Vorbeck.

Mike

Posts: 21243 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check out An Ice Cream War. My Life is on the way.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I intend to check those two out as well. Thanks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Ice Cream War appears to be a novel. Not that that is bad, just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Something Of Value" + Uhuro" were novels as well;but I understand your point of interest at the moment.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about "Karamojo Safari" by Bell, or "Safari" by Bartle Bull. As Papa would say,both are true at first light. Love to see some pics when you get back stateside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

Point well taken. "Something of Value" and "Uhuru" are two of my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to get off on a topic and then get obsessed. I spent a couple of years on Gordon, the Sudan, Kitchner, the Mahdi, which spun off to Churchill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm two weeks out. Some of the books I've purchased are too dear to take on a trip. I kind of like the paperbacks. Something by Wilbur Smith is entertaining, with no redeeming social value.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Wilbur Smiths are easy reading , pretty formulaic , but handy to have to while away the slow times.

Clive Cussler is a similar writer , predictable but entertaining.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza's right, Wilbur Smith is rather entertaining, so I bought one -- can't remember the title and it will be forgettable, so it doesn't matter that I can't remember the title now.

I will also take a book on the First World War in East Africa. Lot's of plane time. I hope I learn something.

ttit