Find
Notify
Tools

W Jamieston Fletcher
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
Has there ever been a book written about Fletch?

Are there other books besides Pondoro's and Capstick's where he gets much of a mention?

There is very little on the web that I can find about the man.

Where else?

Where did his photos (alluded to by Capstick) that were stolen by the so called biographer end up?

Thanks

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been in correspondence off and on over the years with young Fletch. Peter Taylor who runs Feredays gunshop in Harare is living in the house where fletcher lived and was killed.

The photo's were finally returned- being called a thief in public was a bit much for the man concerned, and with the growth of the internet. Brian Marsh was instrimental in getting the photo's back and wanted to use them in a book on fletch (he basically wrote Pondoro and Peter put his name on it to help it sell as a return favour to Brian). Several others including Ant Williams at African Hunter have sought permission to puplish the diaries and the photo's but nothing yet. Fletch's .500 Jeffery is on the market. Basically young fletch isn't interested and doen't want people making money out of his late father. He grew up very impoverished and the writers like Taylor and the cad in london only wanted what they could get for themselves.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for replying.

I hope a book comes out on Fletch with many of his photos as those in Pondoro's books are mind boggling.

I wonder how much that rifle would sell for?

Far more than I could muster, I know, but to own such a gun!

A nice dream.

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I mis read.

How much is the rifle up for?

Thanks.

Ross