Find
Notify
Tools

Best Book about Mausers??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I am looking for a book to help me identify and understand mauser rifles.

Does anyone have a favorite book they like to reference?

I am particularly interested in '98's and there variations (FN, husky's, ect). I would like to see crests.

Thanks

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trouthunter:

Two books for the library are Jon Speed's "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" published by Collector Grade Publications and Ludwig Olson's "Mauser Rifles" available through Brownells. Jon Speed also has a new book out about Mauser Sporters but I can't recall the title.

Brownells might have both books, but you can google Speed's books and probably find a dealer online. Check with Brownells first.

Both are great reference books. Olson's has a lot on the miltary mfg rifles while Speed's concentrates on factory sporters and the subsequent variations.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up on Jon Speed's books. I haven't seen Olson's.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
RCG is spot on.

Mike

Posts: 21242 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have Speed's book and it used to be a nightly reader. I had to move it as it was starting to show some age, back to the bookshelf.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Thumbs up on Jon Speed's books. I haven't seen Olson's.

Bill Quimby

clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
When he last visited Tucson, Jon Speed told Billinthewild and I that he sometimes reads the AR forums.

If you're reading this, Jon, a big hello from Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
When he last visited Tucson, Jon Speed told Billinthewild and I that he sometimes reads the AR forums.

If you're reading this, Jon, a big hello from Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Ditto.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend Speed's and Olson's books. Frank de Haas' "Bolt Action Rifles" is invaluable. Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Mauser Bolt Actions- A Shop Manual" is very valuable too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the wonderful information. The only book I don't have is Jon Speed's.

I grew up in the same town as Frank de Haas. He was a wonderful man. He was blind when I started hunting in the early 90's but I would bring him my targets and he would run hi hand over the paper and tell me how to improve my shooting and handloads. He was truely one of a kind.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote