New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books by J.A. Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read quite a few books on African hunting and my favorite thus far is "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter.

Ruark was a great writer fist and an avid hunter. Hunter was a hunter first, and writer second.

Selous is very educational. Capstick is entertaining-the ultimate campfire yarn spinner.

For me personally, Hunter hits on all cylinders.

Is there a complete list of Hunter's works out there? I know of a few books he has writtten:

Hunter
Hunter's Tracks
White Hunter
African Bush Adventures

There has to be more. They are hard to find since none of his works are exactly politically correct. For that matter, neither are Selous' Ruark's, Roosevelt's, etc.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tales of The African Frontier,Hunter + Mannix.Maybe others,have you checked Safari Press?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I believe Safari Press has reprinted all of J.A. Hunter's books. I have a couple of first editions, plus the reprints. I'm at my cabin, though, and my books are in Tucson so I can't give you the titles. He wrote at least four books with his sole byline, and I seem to remember another book where he shared the byline with a professional author.

Bill Quimby

http://www.safaripress.com

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5 books mentioned, are, I believe the complete list of all of his books. They are quite easy to find on Advanced Book Exchange

http://www.abebooks.com/

If you like John Hunter you should check out John Burger, John Dawkins, and John Taylor as well, if you haven't already. For really good writing and spinning an exciting yarn Jim Corbett is also pretty hard to beat.

Andy

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you have an interest in Hunter, you might enjoy Peter Beard's "End Of The Game". He writes about meeting with Hunter shortly before his death and several nice photos are included.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am a big fan of JA Hunter's books. They are not only well-written, but are set in the first half of the 20th century and, presumably, factual. Definitely one of the people no longer around whom I would have liked to meet.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote