Find
Notify
Tools

Good reviews on the new "Swamp Fox" bio
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just read an intriguing review of this new biography by John Oller, "The Swamp Fox: How Francis Marion Saved the American Revolution," in the June issue of Muzzle Blasts. It's being lauded as not only eminently readable, but covering new ground on this singular American hero, who insisted even his enemies be treated with dignity -- perhaps South Carolina's "Man for All Seasons." It's perhaps an antidote to these toxic times to read about a man to whom character mattered a great deal. My copy inbound.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill that sounds interesting (on beyond the Disney versions of our youth).It does seem a shame that today the qualities of dignity + personal character seem to be outmoded for some. I am not in that group.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, it would seem that the real Francis Marion did not look much like Leslie Neilsen. In real life he was described as very small and very skinny, with a serious limp and a personality so quiet that some might think him timid.
Boy I sure watched the Disney shows!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
One of the top theme songs! I still know it.

Posts: 3453 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Bill that sounds interesting (on beyond the Disney versions of our youth).It does seem a shame that today the qualities of dignity + personal character seem to be outmoded for some. I am not in that group.

I remember Vault Disney came on Saturday at 12am growing up before Disney went full retard. Great programming. I would drive my little 70 Honda 4 wheeler singing,”Swamp Fox, Swamp Fox, tell on his hat! Nobody knows wehere the Swamp Fox is at! Swamp Fox, Swamp he runs away to fight again.”

Great stuff.

Posts: 11008 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote