Find
Notify
Tools

Eyelids Of Morning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted
By Alistair Graham. Just finished reading it one day after purchase. Great read. Great photos and illustrations by Beard. Insight into crocs, the Turkana, and even civilized man. Highly recommended

Posts: 3453 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Book.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving in six weeks to a lake that has one of the highest concentrations of crocodiles in Africa. Hope to bring one home. Scary bastards -- I hate even walking a riverbank.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Get a big one. I think a skull mount would be sweet. What are shooting with?

Posts: 3453 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two rifles are a M70 .30-06 and a Bill Wiseman .416 Rem. Mag. Both are topped with Swaro Z-6, 1-6x scopes. If I had to bet on which is more accurate, I'd bet on the .416, but I can't shoot it prone (not enough eye relief for that position).

I first saw "Eyelids of Morning" in the law library at the University of Texas back in the 80's. I love the book, but don't yet own a copy.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lavaca I envy you your trip! Best of luck. I agree w/ the .416 but the 06 will work as you well know. As to walking the banks,I concur. I remember Jeff Cooper wanting to hunt hippo between the land + water + the guides would have nothing to do with it. You don't stand between the hippo + the river;but that's how he was. He did'nt do it of course.Hope you post some pics when you return. Best,Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A morning excursion at Halali

I was treated to a couple of days at Halali in Arusha National Park. I got up at the crack of dawn, while my hosts slept. I persuaded one of the old caretakers to show me around -- consistent with the law, my rifles were locked in my case.

My Swahili is rudimentary, to be charitable. I gathered he wanted to show me a hippo. He led me to the edge of the pond and the resident hippo wasn't there. So we are between the hippo and water. Now the absence of my rifle became a serious concern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a slave to lion and leopard baits. I never even got down to the lake as it turned out.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Peter Beard's photography in that book, excellent.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never forgotten that the largest measured croc skin purchased in 20 years of trading was 19' 6" in length. I'd have loved to have seen that one. From a safe distance.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote