Find
Notify
Tools

Bartle Bull & Alves de LIma
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I am working my way through two wonderful books. Bartle Bull's, Safari, and Jorge Alves De Lima's, In The Company of Adventure. Both offer an excellent read but from a different perspective.

De Lima's work is post 1948, and its emphasis is on Elephant - the qust for ivory and big tuskers. He takes the reader from then French Equatorial Africa to Tanganyika, Angola, Mozambique, Zambia,Chad, and a few other locations in between. Always the quest for big tuskers with an occasional Hippo, Rhino and Cape Buffalo, Leopard and Lion. His ability with the 30-06 is quite something, but his Holland & Holland double ruled the day. Some mention of the hunters he encountered along the way, but mainly story after story about his hunts. Not in any way boring, even though a bit repitious, and I broke that up with Bartle Bull. The negative is that it is expensive, $150.00 from Trophy Room Books and very well illustrated in black and white.

Bull's Safari is a work of historical interest going back to the 1800's and bringing the reader almost to the present day. The progression of the "safari" is interesting. He talks not so much about the individual hunts, but the hunters along the way, the men and women who are legends in the African hunting world. From men like Cornwallis Harris, Samuel Baker, Gordon Cumming, Selous, Teddy Roosevelt to Bror Blixen, Denys Finch Hatton, Isak Dinesen, the McCallums, Hunter, Cottar, Robin Hurt, and many more.

I found it a fascinating tale, and very well illustrated. The plus is that it is inexpensive on the used book market. I borrowed the one I read but found one of my own for $17.50!

Good reading. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks for the review, I have been eyeing De Lima's book and on the look out for it in used book online stores.

I recently read Bull's book and found it very good, a great read that was not all "I shot the bugger between the eyes" stories.

Thanks for sharing cheers

Posts: 10200 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really liked Bull's book, will have to read the other one. I do have a question that maybe someone can help me with.
In Bull's book there is some photos, taken at night, of someone getting mauled by a lion. The person appears to have a double in his hand. I can't find any reference in the book about this incident other than the aforementioned pics. Can someone give a history of this incident? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote