New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good books on gunsmithing ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any favorites? Any titles that are good general books, or highly specialized?

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Gunsmithing" by Roy Dunlap. The author has been dead for at least a dozen years but this has to be the genre's classic. It's been brought out in many updated editions since I bought my copy in 1955.

I got to know Dunlap when we both shot in a siluetas metalicas league in Sonora, Mexico, in the 1960s. From his appearance, few would guess he was capable of producing such accurate rifles or such a useful book. He was unkempt and disorganized, and mumbled a lot.

Safari Press also has an excellent book on stockmaking. I can't find my copy, but I'll post its title when I run across it.

Steven Hughes also is selling three of his titles in AR's classified section right now. I don't know Hughes and I haven't seen his books, but they sound interesting and worthwhile.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Brownells’ “Gunsmith Kinks” are chock full of useful information and “why didn’t I think of that” hints.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/...ch.aspx?c=632&p=4797

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote