THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Browning A5 mystery serial number
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A5 mystery serial number
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, I have an A5 with the serial number
60 (small numbers) then 21242. It doesn't appear to conform to any of the iformation on Brownings website or anything else I can find. It is an FN product (so presumably post 58?) 2 3/4 12g with a round grip. Can any of you help me to date this gun please? All info or suggestions of reference sources would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

z

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do have a mystery gun. I assume it is a standard weight rather than a light 12. I would also think that the saftey is in the front of the trigger guard as oposed to the later left to right in the rear of the guard. iI would think it is pre WWII.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, it is a standard weight but it does have the safety at the rear of the trigger. Does this shed any more light?

Thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can help out,according to Matt Eastmans Browning book, your shotgun was one of a few models that were brought over from Europe in the mid 1960s. SAC stands for superlight chromed barrel. The 60 stands for the year of manufacture,the 5 stands for the engraving, which you don't have, it could be the first 2 in the numbers,it also shows only 4 serial numbers. That could possibly mean that your gun has a number 2 engraving. Hope this helps out.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That helps out a lot. The gun is still in europe but the 1960 date looks to be right for the wear etc on the gun. No engraving its a plain jane.

Thanks a lot much appreciated

Gareth