New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mods to the Champion trap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple of years ago the kids got me a Champion electric trap for Christmas. It runs off a 12v car battery and really works well. It comes with a long cord and foot switch, which I found too confining, so I bought their wireless remote. The only problem I have with the remote is that it releases the bird instantly so there is a bit of a rush to get going. So looking on YouTube I 'discovered' the Geri 12v Multifunction relay cycle timer. This is a programmable time delay relay that runs on 12v and will do all sorts of stuff (18 different modes of operation). It cost 16$ from Amazon!
The instructions look like they were written in Swahili and translated by a Chinese non-English speaker but with a little hands-on I figured them out. The device works perfectly in this application. I started with a 2.5 sec. delay but found it too long so am now down to 1.5 sec., which seems about right. The neat thing about this timer is that it can be set to do doubles, triples, etc. Now I can waste ammo and miss clay birds at an amazing rate.
C.G.B.