THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Do you have a shotgun you just love?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Do you have a shotgun you just love?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use it for everything but geese. 7 lbs. isn't enough weight to soak up the recoil of a 3" magnum shell.
The gun just fits me perfectly.

Posts: 31 | Location: North Dakota, US | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1300 winchester 12ga. Ported, good tubes,and loves any ammo I feed it. Never jamed or failed. It has droped everything from deer to dove. If I only had one gun to hunt with in the U.S. this would be it.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My feel good gun is my 686 Sporting Clays. I shoot it as good as anything I've tried, and it's weight seems to help in a hot dove field. However, it's and my weight, and my desk job means that when I get to go pheasant hunting, I'll be carrying a new 391

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, have two that fit the bill; a Remington 11-96 for waterfowl and open field pheasants, but the one that sees the most use is a 20 ga Winchester 101 Pidgeon Grade XTR Featherweight.

Posts: 63 | Location: Creighton, Nebraska | Registered: 19 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a field grade 101 Winchester 12ga, that fits like it was made for me. It's like pointing your finger.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington model 1100 20 ga. Fits like a glove, sold the fancy shotguns.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I love my rem 870 marine magnum because it's my home defense gun.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
My favorite shotgun???
For upland birds, a Browning B27B2G, one of four thousand, made in 1981.
For ducks and geese, a 17 year old Browning A-5 Magnum, fed Hevi-Shot.
Many a good time and memory with these shotguns.
Jeff in Texas.

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beretta A302 with a 28" VR barrel with choke tubes by Stan Baker and a 22" VR barrel from a Browning B-80 (same barrel). I have a buttstock from a 303 sporting clays on it now, fits great. All wrapped in camo tape.

This has been my behind the seat of the truck shotgun for 20 years, multi purpose. I've taken at least $20,000 worth of bobcats, grey fox, coyotes and coons with it calling at night. It has killed many hundreds of California, Gambels and Mountain quail, chukars, pheasants, bunnies, etc. that went into the foil and were cooked in the special SS box I have mounted on the exhaust manifold of my truck for a hot meal while checking traps.

It's still my go to gun for ducks, geese and brant.

Shot a few feral pigs and one black bear with slugs.

And it stayed in a scabbard in the troll pit on my commercial salmon boat back in the good old days when it was legal to whack troublesome sea lions.

Lots of memories with that gun.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
<3feathers>
posted
I have a Beretta 686 two barell set (20 & 28) that I love to
hunt with. I really love the 28. Its all I need for quail.
3 feathers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazyquick,

I have an old Stevens side by side 12 bore back in India and it will kill boar with ball or anything small with shot quite effortlessly as long as I do my bit. It is crude in it's appearance but works beautifully and will continue to work for a long time to come.

i think it is the most beautiful gun in the world!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazyquik:

Can an old man remembering a great shotgun of his youth get into this discussion? I developed a love of hunting ruffed grouse. My shotgun ( given to me by an uncle) was an already old Winchester Mod. 97, a hammer pump (straight grip) with 28" barrel and choked modified.(12 gauge) I shot ruffed grouse with it at age 15 and until I was about 18. I killed probably 1 out 3 grouse I shot at and the real grouse hunters know that's not bad! In one of the usual insane moments in youth I traded (and also paid cash) for an Ithaca "Featherlight" - and never again killed grouse so well. Moral of the story? If you have a shotgun that swings well and you know it comes up as a part of you pointing at the bird - don't ever let go of it! (Of course, I know you will anyway - because you are the same kind of dumb ass I was when I was young and you never listen to your elders!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice SxS & a Nice over under, but when I'm serious I always pickup my Browning A5 12ga. Just can't beat it for pointability & fire power. I don't point it, I wear it. Many years ago I bought a slim little browning 20 ga SxS with sporter stock, that I thought would be just the thing for the quail I was shooting. But I can tell you after 3 covey rises, I put the SxS up & got the A5 out! Nothing like having 5 shots on quail.
Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster:

Your post definitely caught my eye because I "inherited" from an uncle, a Fox Sterlingworth, 16 gauge, when I was 15. (That was back in the days when dinosaurs walked the earth but in my calendar it was 1945) (Sorry, but I just don't recall that I ever looked at the SN.When you're young you don't realize what might become collectors items) Anyway (and to perfectly illustrate what a wise man said once that "youth was too important to waste on the young") I got rid of it because I didn't like the feel of the splinter fore end and loved being able to wrap my fingers around a pump (to the horror of my father who remembered the market hunters and despised any shotgun not a double - and he meant a sxs. I think he was doubtful about O&Us) Glad to read that a fine double will go to the field again. (Upland loads, I presume?)

one of us
posted Hide Post
bbruce:

Had to write because I used a Rem 1100 for ducks and practiced a lot at trap with it. Frankly, I always thought that the gas seal ring (Are those the right words?) was a design defect in assembly. I did have the nightmare experience, more than once, of dropping it and fumbling around in the dark trying to find it. Otherwise, I agree it is a superb pointing shotgun. (I used to practice at a local public trap range where the trap fanatics were furious that I showed up to make out the "team' with my Rem.1100 and they had fancy, almost half custom made, "trap shotguns" and could post respectable scores. Also had to buy a "shell catcher" because the 1100's ejection was so good that a trap shooter next to me could be hit by the ejected empty) (To be truthful, I never saw much difference between the 1100 and the 11-87. Both were great)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have a hard time deciding between 2 of my how many shotguns i have, my Browning Citori XS featherlight 12ga o/u or my Browning Belgium made A-5 field grade 12ga [not the light twelve] it was my dads, my mom bought it in 1965, the A-5 hardly kicks, it kicks less than my wife Rem 1100 20 ga youth model, you could shoot all day with the A-5 and not be sore, where my o/u you shoot a good 200 rounds and you know it.

Posts: 44 | Location: wis | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Remington 3200 O/U Competition Trap gun.
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 12 ga. Superposed that I inherited from my grandfather and my Sweet 16 A5 that was my dads.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote