New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protection from crow predation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have been hit by a huge increase in crows over the past few years and last year they almost destroyed by orchard crop. I'm thinking of getting a cheap 20 ga autoloader and paying for a moderator permit because of neighbors.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Has anyone had trouble getting a moderator?

I think using subsonics and a moderator and the sound level should be good and low.

Any other suggestions? I cannot find Larson traps such as used in Britain.

Thanks for input!

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about moderator's but I have shot a lot of crows and I'd suggest forgetting about a 2oga and buy yourself something like a used Beretta 390 12ga and don't use anything smaller than #6 shot. My favorite load was 1 1/4 ounce of copper 5's thru my full choke Beretta.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I know you're right but I have to do this on the sneak. I have plenty of SxSs but want, really need, a moderator.

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed thousands of crows with a 20ga and 7/8oz of 7.5s.

A moderator wellhelp but the crows well soon learn that sound and reconize danger.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My real danger is that a neighbor will learn the sound and then I'm toast.

I'm leaning toward getting a cheap 20ga and paying the tax for a moderator.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon I have the same problem on a smaller scale. Due to development encroachment my use of a centerfire is out of the question. I use a .22 caliber air rifle a Beeman Crow magnum it is deadly on the little varmints but it is a single shot, spring loaded. There are quality semi auto air rifles that use a precharged air cylinder usually filled from a scuba tank that are powerfull, quiet and deadly. Infact due a search on youtube.
Right before harvest I will start my hunting in earnest and will start to leave the carcasses on the ground sparingly until the end of harvest. I have found it a great deterrent. The birds are smart and recognize danger. The minute my worker removes the birds they return in force. Due to the air pellet being of such small diameter the birds surprisingly don't stink and don't attract bugs. You can place them in spots where your neighbors can't see them but the birds will see them. Crows eat road kill/carion they will infect and defecate all over the fruit and trees and will introduce salmonella and other diseases. They will drink and bathe out of my water trouphs used for horses and it is not uncommon to find pieces of animals in the water.
Place some blinds in strategic spots to get in close on the action.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks- I'll check out the air rifle. I have tried a .22 firing the Aguilla Super-colibris. They work very well on squirrels and are about as quiet as an air pistol but they don't have the range needed for crows.

Question - do you ambush them in early morning or at some particular time of day?

Thanks

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't too difficult to MAKE a Larsen Trap. In fact most keepes in UK used to make them. You can get the drawings easily.

However you would need to check the local law about keeping a bird caged as a Larsen Trap requires a decoy bird to work effectively.

But....

For trapping crows you need an entirely different trap. A crow trap. This is essentially a large six foot by six foot by six foot netted "cage" with an opening in the top for the crows to enter.

This opening is a "V" shape with the bottom of the "V" missing. In effect two panels of netting that form a letterbox. The slot being a ladder type series of bars that form perches.

The trap works on the theory that whilst a crow can DROP vertically down it can't fly vertically up. So the crows can get in...but not out.

Here you are:

http://www.crowbusters.com/crowtrap.htm

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can catch crows in Larsen traps I do it all the time.

The big advantages with Larsen traps over ladder traps is they are easily relocated, easily concealed and you can get them with both top entry and side entry trap dooors.

You can down load the plans to make your own off the internetand the springs for the trap doors are available via Ebay for a few $

I must have made 20+. However the plastic dripped weld mesh ones are not so cheap that I don't bother with the making the timber ones any more.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early in the morning while the neighbors are still asleep and the birds are hungry is best. once they have been shot at and associate a rifle with death they will become extremely skitish. If they see a rifle they are gone. You have to place the rifle in a strategic spot so when you see them you can go on acting as you are doing shores do not look at them and totally ignore them until you are within reach of your rifle. They will usually ignore you but very mistrusting. Once one is shot a large group will show up out of nowhere being totally vocal and trying to see and asses the outcome. Which could give you more opportunities. Do a pellet penetration test on bars of soap at chosen distance, zero your gun for it and decide on pellet. Mine is 55 yards average and all the pellets have worked amicablly.
As for the Gents from the UK thank you I love the trap ideas. They are on 24/7

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing on hunting them. Pick some ripe fruit and place it on the ground on a predetermined spot. When they land to eat them they will give you a complete target compared to partial targets while on trees.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a high quality pellet rifle with a factory type silencer/sound moderator?

Better hurry up, the ATF are already in the plans to illegalize those with the attachment in the near future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you please recommend a brand of pellet rifle with moderator that is available in the US and will work on crows at 50 yds?

I am nowhere near a SCUBA tank refill service but I do have a small air compressor in my home shop - what pressures are needed?

Thank you.

The crow trap with the ladder looks very good but unfortnately my little orchard is too exposed to neighbors and the street to use something like this. If I can get a Larson trap here in the US I might try that.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the airgun forum you will get a lot more experience in the semi auto version. Best of luck to you.
Charles

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Shooting them with a supressed .22 is lots of fun. I use a Ruger 10/22 with a Yankee Hill Machine supressor. Deadly with either standard velocity or sub-sonics, but never use the 60 gr bullets. The twist rate in the barrel isn't sufficient to stabilize the big bullet, and it may ruin the supressor.
Also, electronic dying crow calls are very effective. Camo up!

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh! Never thought of calling them in. I checked electronic callers on Cabellas and there are a huge number/price range.

Can you (or anyone) recommend one that isn't too expensive?

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
www.AirgunsofArizona.com

Show me the money!!!!!!!!!!

Might look into Gamo as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Norse but I was asking about crow callers.

I checked with my town and it turns out that I can legally discharge a firearm where I live (I thought I couldn't) so I'm sticking with a shotgun - poo on the neighbor who is paranoid about guns.

Now I need to call in the crows!

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Thanks, Norse but I was asking about crow callers.

Foxpro digital callers loads of crow calls available to down load either from Foxpro or off the internet.

Comes with its own remote control and works great with a decoy or without. I use a little owl decoy. A friend used a stuffed ginger tom cat he picked up at a jumble sale forless than a dollar. Its a bit bald in places and smell rather musty but it works.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you- I'll check out the Foxpro.

Well, I can't get any closer than about 30-40 yds so I used a shotgun. (a bit concerned about a .22 LR) Got a right-left and they crashed into a thicket where I left them. Then I ground-sluiced another and left it there. Now they are staying away from here which is too bad since my sensitive neighbor is off on holiday.

Can't seem to find a commercially-made Larson trap in the US (maybe not legal?) so maybe I'll make one. Too bad - they're pretty cheap in the UK.

Thanks to all.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thing with a Larsen Trap is that it looks like...well, it looks like a trap. That really p*sses off the crow lovers.

Now a ladder trap doesn't look like a trap at all ESPECIALLY if you put some soft fruit bushes in it. It just looks like a cage t protect the fruit bushes from birds or animals.

So sometimes to "hide" something it is best to hide it in plain sight.

Now if a crow happens to get into your fruit bush cage....well all the neighbour needs to know is that you let the crow out.

And at that close a range you can shoot them with a easily concealable air pistol.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote